Self Generated income in Issan & small towns

imperial

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BKKdreaming,

Buffalo_bill summarizes the problems with starting a business accurately.

To make more than the bare minimum wage, she has to have some asset that is scarce. If she has the potential to be a good student, you could sponsor a course of study at a trade school or university.

Or you could bestow an asset directly, say in the form of a small truck or a piece of arable land (provided she has the skills and ambition to work it), or an internet cafe, given the caveats already mentioned, can be an excellent way to make an income if it could be situated where there is a ready market.

Setting her up with a market, small restaurant, or other business that requires little skill to operate is nearly certainly a formula for failure as BB pointed out.

Oddly they work because they are aimed at convenience and location - hence lower market people tend to be majority customers in 7/11's/

That said they only go where there is traffic - i.e. towns at least.

Franchise. Apparently, in Bangkok your franchise gives you exclusive right to your side of the street in a single block. :p

Family Mart is a rival - also franchise. There are a few others.

I've seen several fail in my neighbourhood just this year, but there are still three 7-Elevens in walking distance of my home.

for a 7-11 or Family mart you need lots of money and someone that understands business,

Off the subject a bit , but when the black africans threw out the shop owners (mostly Indians ) when they became independant, they ransacked the stores but were amazed that they did not fill up again !

Maybe the Thais are not that bad , but if they give credit to people who cannot pay them back , plus eat the profits then they cannot restock the shelves.

I wonder how the street stalls ever make any money in the villages or small towns ,

I guess making 100-200 baht profit a day is better than making nothing ,

Hard for us to get that in perspective when we blow so much $$$$ on stupid things,

Anyway still looking....

BK

7-11 will train the manager, the store is auto-stocked as the sale of an item will auto-generate the order to refill the sold item, there are a pool of 7-11 employees that have already been trained and know the business.

Sweet deal, but costs some $$$ to get it started up.

I heard that 7-11 plans to open 2000 more stores in LOS this year!

Archived