2009/2010 season

sayjann

CF,

Half of the expats who drink in the Bar above where I stay when in Pattaya, some of whom you have met in my company, are Chelsea fans so I will send over a couple of bottles of Bubbly for them tomorrow evening when I arrive there.

Even though we wind each other up to high heaven, there is no animosity between us, I will just be recipricating what they did after 2008 Champions League Final.

What this season has proven is how light Uniteds squad is compared to Chelseas, both squads have suffered long term injuries and Chelsea also had the period in January where players were away at African Cup of Nations yet they were able to cope a lot better with missing players. The fact that you scored 7 or more goals on 4 occasions this season and are the first team to hit 100+ goals in a 38 game season is also testomy to the squad.

To be honest after the loss of CR7 and Tevez last summer I was surprised that United took it "to the wire", hopefully the seasons post mortem at Old Trafford will recognise these deficiancies and make funds available to bolster the squad.

Enjoy your celibrations!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys.

Watched the FA CUP final on saturday, really thought it wouldnt be our day, woodwork struck 5 times then pompey get a penalty....it all worked out well in the end and it was good to see that the final lived up to expectations this year

• 2 weeks later...

I concur about Chelsea. Couldn't stomach 4 in a row. Interesting that a lot of London based gooners I know wanted Man Yoo as they have to work with a lot of Chelsea supporters.

Cesc to Barca rumors are an annual event but this summer its taken hold and given some credence by most gooners. I think its because the squad doesn't seem like its competitive and Fabregas doesn't want to waste his best years playing for a club that won't compete. I can't blame him. I'm confused by Arsenal. When it comes time to announce financial info the management brags about us being one of the richest clubs in the world but when it comes to spending money to put a competitive squad on the pitch we act like we're skint. Vermaelen was a great buy last summer but no way he should have been the only one.

We need at least 4 players. We got one already in Chamakh, the Bordeux striker. We desperately need a GK, a defender, a defensive center mid to compliment Song and perhaps another player. We need to cut some players loose or relegate them to the bench. Gooners will disagree on whom but I would make Denilson, Diaby and Walcott squaddies. Maybe even sell Walcott. I think we need another option other than Clichy who is too error prone. Gibbs is good but not ready yet. The player who I think will force himself into the starting team is Ramsey. There is a rumor that Joe Cole will be comig very, very soon. I'll believe that when I see it.

CL places can't be taken for granted any more. Ask Liverpool. Sperz deserved their place, "Citeh" are close and will buy big. Villa are a couple players away as well.

Speaking of Liverpool, they are broke and I were Wenger I'd make a cheeky offer for Torres and Mascherano. I like Gerrard but not sure how he'd fit. I wouldn't mind if we got him but we would have to rearrange the midfield a bit to accomodate him and Cesc if he stays.

Man yoo has to spend but will they? Glazers are said to have reduced the debt but they still have money problems. Chelsea have an aged team and Roman needs to spend but has recently shown a reluctance to spend the kind of money he did when he first bought the club. I suspect he's not as excited and the economy has reduced his net worth considerably. He is still extremely rich and can well afford to restock the squad but is he willing to?

The revenues has gone up since he's taken over the club but I don't know of anyone outside of a chelsea supporter who thinks they can be profitible given the wage bill and quality needed to win the title. A guy on one of my Arsenal forums runs the numbers all the time and they simply don't add up.

If UEFA adopts the rules about only being able to use money that is self generated and not infusions of cash, it will be even dicier.

Again, I've seen no independed reports (and maybe there are some but I just don't know about it) that say Chelsea will be profitable.

Archived