Pilot on Continental flight dies; jet lands safely

BelgianBoy

In theory anyway, most modern airplanes can take off an land by themselves, and basically fly themselves, really no pilot is even needed. But try selling that to the public or the pilots union.

The same technology that is used for drone aircraft can be used for commercial transport aircraft as well.

My condolences to the pilot's family.

yes, condoleances.

same like new cars anyway ( at least the good ones here in Europe :) )maintenace once a year of every 20K miles, whatever comes first.

BB

Very true.......so it's odd to me that people like you and myself who's job really couldn't be replaced by automation get such low pay compared to the glorified bus drivers.

Your job can get staffed by people willing to work for less, or by automated check in etc...mine can get shipped to non union places and or over seas...also, newer aircraft supposedly require less maintenance...

You might correct me on this, but I seem to recall airline/union disputes on the two 'man' cockpit issue when when long-haul twin engine jets came into play (maybe the A300 or 767?).

Anyway, it could just as soon be the guy on the right taking off or landing as far a the passenger knows.

• 2 years later...

Modern-day airliners need a pilot and a rottweiler in the flight deck.

The pilot is there to feed the dog, and the rottweiler is there to make sure the pilot doesn't touch anything!

Not quite.

Modern jetliners are very easy to fly, under normal conditions, once you understand them well enough to stay ahead of them. That takes some practice, but it isn't difficult. This is how the 9/11 scumbags were able to fly them well enough to hit their targets.

It is under extremely ABNORMAL conditions where you want a REALLY experienced pilot in the seat. Like Sully in the United bird that lost both engines immediately after takeoff, who deadsticked it into the river. Or the guy who landed the "Gimli Glider", a 767 that ran completely out of fuel at altitude after some serious ground crew screwup-age.

Jeez, the guy put her down on a drag strip! :applause:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

<< In addition, fuel loading was miscalculated through misunderstanding of the recently adopted metric system, which replaced the imperial system. >>

Serves the Canucks right for abandoning a perfectly good system to go metric for no conceivable reason whatsoever! :banghead:

Archived