Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case

zzzz

First I think she's guilty. Technically. I feel for her. A single mother of kids. The companies couldn't have found a more sympathetic person for the public to get behind.

The lawsuit wasn't against her specifically but a shot across the bow to the rest of us. The millions who download illegally.

The judgment changes nothing. Millions of us will continue to download music, movies, whatever we want.

What the entertainment industry needs to do instead of filing these types of lawsuits is learn to deal with the real world. The world has changed and passed them by. They haven't figured out how to maximize their revenue in this new age.

They still make money. They make tons of money. They've been robbing artists for eons. They are just mad they still can't tie up any loose ends and keep all the money.

Eff 'em. I feel for this lady. I hope they don't pursue her for the money.

I know artists are losing money too but from what I can tell they are still making tons. Rappers are making millions on ringtones for example. Artists are making tons of money touring and there are still people out there buying CDs (I have no idea whom) as we still have multiple platinum selling artists.

Part of me loves seeing the companies get it up the Arsenal.

What's fucked about their approach is that you are guilty until proven innocent. Once they file against you, you have the option of settling out of court for a couple thousand or going to court and defending yourself.

They place the settlement amount far below what it would cost you to hire an attorney to and represent you in court.

Granted, they are probably spot on with the majority of the people they target but there will be those who get caught under the Corporate Steamroller who are innocent.

Those people, however small the percentage, quickly come to realize that money talks and bullshit walks when it comes to the legal system.

The article says "...[t]his case was the only one of more than 30,000 similar lawsuits to make it all the way to trial." 30,000 lawsuits seem like a HUGE number. Using $3,500 per case to settle out of court, it amounts to more than $100 million US for the recording industry. They could probably make more money suing than they can selling music! [i have to be careful and don't accidently download illegally -- with my luck I'll get sued]

Archived