Tacos y Salsa

I've been meaning to write this for a while.

Very basic yet very good Mexican-style (NOT Tex-Mex) taquería. S-M-all, small -- I think the whole place is only 2M wide x 6M deep! Seats 12 at four tables, al fresco dining only. The owner is Jorge, a Mexican national. Lame website here.

The salsa fresca and the guacamole are as good as I've ever had in Mexico. So are the refried beans, creamy and yummy -- so *not* from a can!

Everything is good. Breakfast (opens at 1100) is a standout. The breakfast burrito is a little slice of heaven.

One drawback is the menu. Not very descriptive (to say the least) so if you do not know Mexican food, you're guessing. And there is a *lot* of stuff not on the menu. Ask and/or look at all the small signs tacked up on the walls.

They also have very good margaritas and sangria (again, not on the menu; ask). And fun Mexican pop music on the radio (none of the cheesy mariachi band shit).

As you can imagine, cheap as chips. Had brekky there this AM with Ms Vampy who was unsure about the choice (but later, her words..."hmmm...aroy dee!"; we had a brekky burrito, four taquitos al pastor, a fresh fruit plate, two diet Cokes. We ate it all, but didn't go away hungry. Bill was B360 incl tip (no service charge added).

Location (for now) is on Suk soi 18, just behind the 7-11 and across from the Lexus dealer; it is the outdoor patio of the Indian resto "India Today". TyS are gonna move to a bigger/better place soon that'll be on Suk between soi 22 and the entry to Washington Sq, but don't know exactly when.

Easily the best Mexican in town (I consider Coyote to be Tex-Mex). Hit it!

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been told about this place by several people, but never made my way that far. Still ... WTF is a breakfast burrito? Remember - I grew up along the border before the word Chicano had even been invented. I've enjoyed flat enchiladas with a fried egg on top for breakfast. But a burrito? Good way to make your day turn into "Blazing Saddles".

Best ever Mexican food in Bangkok was from a restaurant named "Rios" in the 1970s. It was behind the Indra Hotel and was owned by Agipito Rios, who was born in Eagle Pass but grew up in Chihuahua. I think the guy split up with his Thai wife, since suddenly the restaurant turned into a Thai seafood place!

All of those I've been to since then have made Taco Bell seem "authentic". :(

p.s. Be careful about saying "Mexican". There are many regional differences - so much so that you wouldn't even recognise the dishes.

WTF is a breakfast burrito?

How long have you been away from the states?! The breakfast burrito has become as much a part of the American sandwich lexicon as the Philly cheesesteak or the Italian sub. I think even McDonald's serves a breakfast burrito.

In the states, it's usually some variation of eggs, breakfast meat, cheese, onions, green peppers and salsa wrapped in a flour tortilla.

Jesus Christ, I'm hungry.

p.s. Be careful about saying "Mexican". There are many regional differences - so much so that you wouldn't even recognise the dishes.

Jorge is from Mexico City, if that helps on the regionality.

Brekky burrito in this case is eggs, rice, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, onions and hot peppers rolled into a flour tortilla.

TyS do have the very simple Mexican brekky of a fried egg and bacon on a corn tortilla.

Cheers,

SD

All I can say after reading your post is I'm depressed to read that restaurants have practically come and gone on my beloved Soi 18 since I was last in town. :(

Can someone please put Blue Sky Massage back on that corner?

And can someone also please make Senor Pico the most authentic Mexican restaurant in Bangkok again? ( :doah: )

Don't knock Senor Pico. It doesn't taste like any mexican food I've ever had, but it seems to be a bit more palatable for the Thai palate.

Two foods that I've had very little success introducing Thai girls to: Mexican and Indian. So I think it might be the cilantro/coriander. Senor Pico uses very little cilantro.

Senor Pico...I love their steak picado. There's nothing Mexican about it, but I love it and there are some spices in there that make me sweat so much it's embarrassing.

PS. SD (if you're reading): folks from Mexico City only have to say they're from MEXICO, everyone else has to specify a region. Sorta reminds me of...

<< Brekky burrito in this case is eggs, rice, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, onions and hot peppers rolled into a flour tortilla. >>

Totally new to me - and decidedly un-Mexican sounding. (Sort of like fajitas, which are an American creation ...) Guess I have been away a while.

Of course, I go back to the days of the ten cents for a dozen corn tortillas from the tortilla factory etc - when Chicanos were Mexicans, and illegals were wetbacks. I was a minority in Dona Ana County. Most of my classmates were the children of cotton pickers!

When I was a uni student, you could go to Rosie's and get half a dozen flour tortillas and a big bowl of cold refried beans for a quarter. That's what we lived on around the end of the month.

:dunno:

Archived