Airport scam? Beware King Power Duty free shop

tartempion

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this earlier (am in Blighty) and apart from the obvious nastiness it must indicate that there is a huge hole in airport security if these things can go down once past immigration and what should be a properly policed and secure area - it would only take one rich terrorist to bribe these kinda people to wreck the place once and for all, and the government need to get rid of all the people involved.

As an aside, I was almost done over when exiting Manila - one security guard made me take my boots off away from the Xray machine and when I looked over saw another bonzo trying to get in my carry-on bag - fortunately padlocked and he was almost spitting blood when he gave it back to me. So god knows what he was going to put in it!

Seems to be more airport scams and expensive scams since the move to the "swamp". Is that police district the worst in LOS?

I tend to take all these "reports" with a grain or more of salt. I still tend to think a lot of the early rumors about the cigarettes hassles were bullshit.

Hard to believe something like this could have been going on for awhile, and no one hearing of it until these 2 got grabbed...a lot about this story doesn't seem to add up.

I have used AOT limo service from the airport a lot the recent years. but i have never heard about the "AOT limo scam". What is it , and how does it work ?

Bratt65.

From another forum:

SCAM ALERT! Airport taxis

When collecting your luggage you’ll notice large signs warning you to avoid unauthorised taxis and use the AOT Limo Service instead for your own safety. In fact all taxis at the airport are authourised Bangkok metered taxis and perfectly safe, while the AOT Limos are aggressively and unfairly promoted, costing three times more! Even if you ignore their well placed desk, an army of their reps will accost you when you exit, politely but firmly hawking this rip off option. It’s not a very good first impression of Thailand, but the AOT airport management have poor judgement when it comes to transparency. Outside the ground floor (the taxi rank was only recently moved up from the basement after persistent complaints) you’ll find an orderly queue, and for a 50 baht admin fee will be in a taxi in no time. They’ll even help you insist the driver uses the meter - average price 300 baht. As with all developing countries you might occasionally encounter a dishonest driver (if so record his publicly displayed taxi number and threaten to report him to the tourist police). You can avoid this by spending 900 baht on the AOT’s highly profitable limo service, but we discourage it out of principle.

Seems to be more airport scams and expensive scams since the move to the "swamp". Is that police district the worst in LOS?

I tend to take all these "reports" with a grain or more of salt. I still tend to think a lot of the early rumors about the cigarettes hassles were bullshit.

Hard to believe something like this could have been going on for awhile' date=' and no one hearing of it until these 2 got grabbed...a lot about this story doesn't seem to add up.[/quote']

My only experiences of an attempted scam have been at Swampy. In 20 years of flying into DM nothing, but first time into Swampy attempted scam and the second time. Who knows maybe third time lucky?

Archived