Anyone know of a Thai counselor?

zen4dummies

My gf has a mother is insane. She is very threatening to her and the gf's brother is on the mother's side as are two of his sons. This does the situation no good.

The mother will be in Bangkok tomorrow and the gf is scared to death. She was recently in her village and her mother threatened her with everything from a large knife to a broken large beer bottle. She took refuge with the neighbors and then on her house on her small farm. The gf blames herself for the problem and that is doing her no good at all. I tell her that her mother just does not like her but she cannot accept this.

Does anyone know of a Thai counselor here in Bangkok that can work with her?

I am not at all sure how Thais work these things out but her mother is not someone that can be reasoned with and the gf's situation is driving me nuts. Luckily we will be out of the country later this next week for about a week.

All input/comments will be appreciated.

zen

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not at all sure how Thais work these things out

large knives and broken bottles sounds about right. Cash also works. If you can't disappear before she gets to town, then maybe you can bribe her to stay away. Of course this doesn't work long term and may create more problems down the road. You could try to get mom to focus her craziness on someone else. Any other family members she'd be just as happy stabbing?

I know you are thinking now that you can help mom get better and eventually have a good relationship with your gf. If she is as mentally unstable as you say, that is not going to happen short of electro shock therapy and/or constant medication. Best to decide now how you plan to avoid getting dragged into this drama.

Zen4,

My comments are not directed at you per se but I will never forget the advice my Grandfather gave me which was "Look at the Mother of your current hole since that is what she will turn into"

There seems to be a disapprotionate ammount of postings on this and many other forums about "Scheming Bitches" and "Grabbing Families" than what is an actual representation, but then again I suppose guys who are happy / comfortable in their relationships actually have a pleasent lifestyle and don't feel the need to post about it in online forums hence the distorted figures.

To buck the trend I will post a positive comment, not only do I get on very well with my in-laws they also get on very well with my parents, Hell the in laws have been to the UK and seen my parents more times in the past few years than the wife and I have, we never have time too busy with our respective carrteers, when my parents come to Thailand they spend more time with the in laws than they do of me and the wife, one of the joys of being retired I assume ... one day I hope I have the luxury.

Very rare I post in "Relationships" forum since it always seems to be negative and I can't be arsed to counteract comments but within my Thai / Farang Social Circle there is a higher amount of "Success Stories" than is represented online.

Back to your original question, Who Needs the Counsellor? Just move on to Pastures new.

Zen4,

My comments are not directed at you per se but I will never forget the advice my Grandfather gave me which was "Look at the Mother of your current hole since that is what she will turn into"

That's beautiful Mekong :applause::applause::applause:

I am thinking what has your "gf" done to piss her off to the point of threatening her with a knife?

I can play out a few obvious scenarios in my head but a bit more info wouldn't go astray.

My mother-in-law was a delightful woman. She seldom spoke to me, but she'd give me small presents now and then. My Mrs told me her mother was shy, but really liked me. Come to think of it, the whole family was pretty decent - no nutters. Papa had spent most of the family's money on booze, but that is sort of typically Thai. He'd snuffed it before I came along. Still, the family had a fair amount of land left and their home.

My mother's mother got sort of goofy in her early 80s. I had my father take her pistol and keep it away from her. (She had a .25 cal Colt auto she had carried in Prohibition era Chicago, when the cops weren't good for anything.) Grandma finally ended up in a nursing home, which is where this gal's mother may well belong - if Thailand has them!

My gf has a mother is insane. She is very threatening to her and the gf's brother is on the mother's side as are two of his sons. This does the situation no good.

The mother will be in Bangkok tomorrow and the gf is scared to death. She was recently in her village and her mother threatened her with everything from a large knife to a broken large beer bottle. She took refuge with the neighbors and then on her house on her small farm. The gf blames herself for the problem and that is doing her no good at all. I tell her that her mother just does not like her but she cannot accept this.

Does anyone know of a Thai counselor here in Bangkok that can work with her?

I am not at all sure how Thais work these things out but her mother is not someone that can be reasoned with and the gf's situation is driving me nuts. Luckily we will be out of the country later this next week for about a week.

All input/comments will be appreciated.

zen

What would be the point of her visiting a counsellor? What is the outcome sought?

Archived