Anyone know of a Thai counselor?

zen4dummies

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ties are cut now. She does not answer her mother's calls since they are nothing but abuse. Her brother disowned her, 'how could you treat your mother like that? You are no longer my sister.' ??? The fact is that he was contributing nothing to the family in the village and two of the children that we were supporting are his. This is costing him money and he is angry about that. GF is holding up OK. We live in Bangkok and that is more than 10 hours away from Amnat Charoen so we do not have to see the mother. The brother lives in Bangkok but we don't see him. When the mother was here recently she only lasted a few days before the brother sent her packing.

Her father and a cousin take care of the farm. If she were to sell the farm her father would have nothing to do (I think that it would kill him) and it would put her cousin on the street. Both are illiterate and have no skills other than farming.

We talked to a doctor at Bumrungrad who made an appointment with a therapist for her. If she likes the therapist we will continue with that and if she does not we will look further.

GF has been getting a lot of support from her neighbors (long phone calls) and is not backing down on what she is doing.

I intend to keep up the progress on this. Thanks for all of your comments and advice.

zen

• 1 month later...

There has been good progress in the gf's outlook. I took her to see the therapist the first time and she left the room with a smile on her face. After that she went on her own and told me about talk between her and the therapis and it sounded good. When she gets angry calls from her (usually drunken) mother it no longer upsets her; she can more easily shrug them off. Her mother makes demands; 'tell you brother that you are sorry and also deed the farm over to her father' and she tells her 'NO'. The problem of cutting her mother's salary from 3000 baht per week to nothing is a big one for her brother. Now her brother has to send money to his mother for her to take care of his sons and it is causing a lot of problems for him. One of his sons said that there was a lot of fighting between his parents and his grandma and brother got into blows while at a karaoke bar. Lovely woman the grandma. She was supposed to be in Bangkok for 2 weeks and everyone there got tired of her after two days so she had to go home. Plans are being made to have the gf's kids come stay with us and that will be the best for them.

GF goes to Bumrungrad and therapy costs 1300tb per half hour and is certainly worth-while.

So far so good. I do not have any anger toward the gf's mother but just want to keep her out of our lives and that is the way things are going.

zen

Glad to hear things are working out. I found it interesting that even after your gf has not sent any money back that they still had enough to go out to karaoke rather than spend it on the brothers' kids. And then for the brother to physically fight with his grandmother and parents?? Holy crap. That guy needs some major help. Maybe dual sessions with your gf.

Archived