Things you take to LOS to give as gifts to Hotel Staff etc..

Torneyboy

We take these along and give to hotel check - in staff,security guys at the lifts and so on and just about everywhere we go ...the larger ones are for the Taxi drivers that take us on our longer trips to the Jungle and HH ..

You guys do something similar?

Fuck me.. I'm still getting up off the floor after I saw that TB actually *STARTED* a thread!!! :yikes:

Anyway, now that I'm back on the sofa, I used to take a few of these sorts of things, but I really don't think they overly appreciate a toy stuffed koala or kangaroo. It's a nice gesture, but I think its more geared towards our culture - buying a small gift for someone - rather than theirs. Especially for someone you don't know that well, such as a cab driver.

Some might be appreciative and think it's a nice gesture, but for most people in lower-income jobs they'd probably prefer a tip. (Or maybe a bottle of Thai Whisky for a male security guard for example).

NO! :neener:

Damn a TB Style answer to a TB Thread.

I get the Local Motocycle Gang aka my Koh Lan Wang a case of Mekong each Songkran and thats about it.

Hotels and Restaurants Mrs M takes care of the billing on her CC and I throw 50% of the cost into her account.

LOL

Have to agree with you Piggy

Was in BWNN a couple of nights ago and some tosser was making a big deal of giving the Girls "trinkets"....like blown up "funny money" copies of US $1 bills...and pissy little 10 cent plastic rings....

The girls "played along" with it....but the looks on the faces were saying......Buy me a drink....you kia neow Cnut

Cheers DC

The girls "played along" with it....but the looks on the faces were saying......Buy me a drink....you kia neow Cnut

Exactly. It's LOS, innit?

Money talks and bullshit walks. (And hands out 10 cent plastic rings, obviously!)

Why would you want to tip a receptionist at a hotel unless they really went out of the way for you? Or a Thai security guard "guarding" a lift-well! It's not a job, like waitressing, where tips are expected to form a big part of income.

It annoys me where everywhere you go in LOS (and other parts of Asia to, to be honest) you see a TIP BOX sitting on the reception desk. Internet cafes are a big on this too I've found.

I'm not saying don't be nice to people - far from it. However, doing this sort of stuff just creates a begging culture and creates false expectations for the future.

Perfect example of how low this web site and forum has dropped. Gifts for hotel staff??????

I'm outta here

Ouch !

I was in the Nana inside bar (the old one before the Disco appeared) and some old Texan wearing a cowboy hat was giving gifts of very large stuffed animals to the bar staff and ice getters.

It was impressive. But I don't think he accomplished anything except to enhance his own ego. I don't think that gals at the bar had any use for such stuffed animals. At best, they would try to sell them - yes, for money.

Aren't all 'gifts' sold anyway?

But, in the past, I too, did bring/take gifts - usually clothing items. Only did that once on an early trip.

Money is the only gift if one is inclined for gifts.

But each to their own.

I once gave a dollar coin to one of the (many) kids that hang around Hanoi airport. The kid didn't know what to make of it. But he probably got a few dong for it.

You could always bring them soap, shampoo, shower caps etc from other hotels you've stayed at. Towels might be appreciated too.

:)

Totally agree on that one , once emptied the Nana Hotel of their toiletries and gave them to the staff at the Oriental , they were really impressed... :cover:

Bada :beer: Bing

Archived