Krabi/Ao Nang, Langkawi or Penang?

Ms Vampy and I are thinking of a 2-3 day getaway (Sat-Mon) soon. Any suggestions on the three choices? I haven't been to any of them in 10 years, so everything would be different than what I remember.

Suggestions for nice hotels (~B5k range) and things to do & places to eat also welcome.

Cheers,

SD

Depends what you're after, SD.

Sounds like your after resort / beach. If beach is you're main priority, then forget Penang. Georgetown is great (a lot of people think it dirty, but I really like it), but the beaches at Batu Ferringhi are really crap.

Some nice resorts, (such as Rasa Sayang), but the beaches really aren't much good.

Krabi is great - I really like it - the problem being that a lot of top-end places around Ao Nang are actually quite a bit away from the centre of town. This is great for making them secluded, but a bit of a pain for going shopping or eating in other places other than the resort.

Personally, I would go to Langkawi. (As long as Air Asia still has their direct flights from Bangkok). The beaches are gorgeous, it's a completely duty free island, (ultra-cheap piss!), fantastic seafood, and some wonderful boat trips you can do from there. I have stayed at a few places on my trips there. Sheraton Perdana was great, but have a look and see if Tanjung Rhu has some deals on. Absolutely gorgeous there!!

Also, Malaysia is WELCOMING tourists at the moment and actually makes western people feel like they are welcome there and happy to see them - support that, not the crap they give you in LOS!

(Minor point, but worth considering!)

Here's some Langkawi photos for your perusal.

BeachScene-vi.jpg

LangkawiBoat-vi.jpg

LangkawiSunset1-vi.jpg

LangkawiSunset3-vi.jpg

LangkawiBoatTrip2-vi.jpg

LangkawiEndoftheDay-vi.jpg

I agree. If you want culture/picturesque town/histry, go Penang.

If you want pussy, Ao nag is your only option, penang and langkawi will hav some but not ideal, Ao Nang probably has more. Since you don't want pussy, I'd say either Ao Nang or Lankawi. But when I went, we had to fly BKK-KL-Langkawi, with long stopovers. maybe easier to get to Ao nang.

Yes - I just had a look at the Air Asia website, and it seems the BKK - LGK flight is no more. :(

So you would have to go via KUL to get to Langkawi.

Having said that, another interesting option would be fly from BKK - Penang, have a night or two there, and then get the ferry to Langkawi which is about a 4 hour trip. (Depending on the weather - in wet season it CAN be rough!)

I'd say fly to Penang, rent a car and drive to Alor Star, and then ferry it? Are the ferries car ferries or just people ferries?

Tanjung Rhu is out of the question...rates there start at B11.5k for a bottom of the rung room; a sea view is B14.5k+. Too rich for me.

Realistically, Langkawi is looking "not worth it" for the time we have (without the direct flight, that is). We just are able to do a fly in Sat AM, fly out Mon AM so Ms Vampy can get to classes by 1700.

Maybe we'll go back to Chiang Mai or try Krabi.

Cheers,

SD

Yes, Cameron Highlands is nice. Very civilised.

Great steamboat there!! (The food, not the nautical device!!)

Good for trekking in "dem dair" Highlands, but I can't see Sua Dum donning the backpack, trekking boots and heading off up the hills.

The Boh Tea Factory is very interesting, and a great place for tea-lovers.

Beautiful scenery and great fresh produce there too as well as a very interesting butterfly and insect house. FreshProduce-vi.jpg

AllHandsonDeck-vi.jpg

Green-vi.jpg

Butterfly1-vi.jpg

CameronHighlands-vi.jpg

Archived