Obama's In Trouble With Health Care

Hugh_Hoy

Well, I think even in a healthy economy (no pun intended), national healthcare was always going to be trouble to enact and run.

As I've long said, its not going to go well when some of the players whose participation is vital (HMO, AMA, Drug companies, AARP, etc.) wield too much power in the government.

That said, its something that the people want. Even a lot of the Republican masses. Republicans have to put some sort of health care plan on the platform for any run at President because the majority of Americans want it.

Medicare/Medicaid does not work and has massive cost overruns. Its simply not working for a lot of seniors. It either doesn't do enough or some things are too expensive (like drugs) on a limited income which a lot of seniors are on (seen those busloads of seniors to Canada to buy their meds?)

It won't bring in enough to cover the whole thing but legalizing pot would at least generate some tax money. I would also recommend a national lottery. Perhaps 50% go to health care, the rest to some other needed function. As one of the founders say, a lottery taxes the willing.

As far as raising taxes that was going to be done no matter who won the election. The only question was whom was going to be taxed. The suprising thing politically is just how moderate and centrist Obama is. The far left, pinko liberal tag certainly hasn't applied so far. I didn't think he would be as I didn't believe McCain would be Bush II and a Bush clone. Its campaign rhetoric both parties spout.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that the two most important things my taxes should go to are health and education.

Funny though that the US originally introduced income tax to fund the civil war. Not much has changed has it.

The 1862 act to raise monies for the war was repealed in 1872. In 1894 the government tried to do a national income tax and the Supreme Court found it unconsitutional. Our present tax is based on the 16th amendment in 1913.

There is no national will to make certain sacrifices in lifestyle, etc. to warrant any kind of reduction in the size of the government.

We got the government we deserve (collectively). I had a friend who was a congressional page and wanted to 'change the world' as a wide eyed young, college grad and saw how it worked in Washington and concluded the 'system' was inexplicably corrupt and failing and it will continue to. He discovered this in the '80s. He hasn't voted since. Part of the apathy he once condemned.

Democracy means you get to vote for the crook of your choice. And those who aren't crooked are immediately offered all sorts of "special deals" to try to corrupt them. Jefferson said there should be a revolution in every generation. He was right. Periodically shoot the old crops of pols and start over with a new one!

No gov employee should live better then the people that pay their wages...or something like that.

These senators that get elected for four years and then get full salary retirement...bullshit!!! worng and should be changed, like now!

My answer to this, just don't live in the USA and pay min taxes, fark 'em.

Bust...yeah, spending went through the roof under Bush. But you and Damen seem to think that drilling holes in the bottom of a boat that already has water in it is a good thing to do. :thumbdown:

To quote the great Rogueyam.....

Lies!

Wrong! ;)

I simply said I would much rather have my tax dollars spent on health care than a misguided war. I was never for the BUSH bailout and I'm not for the OBAMA bailout.

I think that many Americans (Corporate, Government and Individuals) live way beyond their means and a correction is in order.

HH, as you say, we can't afford health care so the people should demand that all government employees and retires forfeit their health care because "We can't afford it!"

I got a bet if government employees and retires have their health care taken away from them, we will get national health care.

Actually, people are now finally starting to bitch about the way cops and firemen have been raping the public for decades with all their "entitlements..." Time to cut all the sacred cows!

Archived