Blasts at Jakarta Ritz, Marriott kill 9, wound 50

ThaiHome

I agree. His overtures could well signal the end of the extremist cause!

A benevolent America! No way do they want that. Who's going to give them money....who's going to fund their lifestyle...who's going to die for the cause?

You'll certainly never see Bin Ladin strapping on a vest full of explosives and dying for the cause...

Can't have a "nice" America....

So I guess they've got to keep the cause going....the only way to do that has to be via provocation. How high will they need to raise the stakes....?

Maybe GWB will get desperate and strap on a vest full of explosives.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article makes this hit home a bit more. Yes, I've met Jim Castle before, but that's not important. The creepy bit was that a normal business meeting was specifically targeted. Not a clandestine group, but just a bunch like AmCham or AusCham or dozens of other meetings I've been to dozens of times. Makes you (well, me anyway) think... :nono:

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?id=6915

And some people think being a expat is all glamour and we do it for pussy :banghead:

Cheers,

SD

As the article states, the cafe at breakfast would have been a much better target for casualties and it was a much more obvious one. I'd go with his conclusion that it was deliberate. Not sure why tho'...get business to leave? Seems not to smart, even for a terrorist.

Cheers,

SD

One theory is that it was simply Noordin Mohammed Top looking to show the faithful that he can still hurt the enemy, even with the beefed up security.

Jemaah Islamiyah, according to reports, is splintering along the lines of the IRA in the 1990s - those who see the end as justifying the means regardless of the damage to their own countrymen and those who dont want to kill Indonesians. Unlike the IRA, their aims arent restricted to Indonesia - per Wikipedia they are dedicated to the establishment of a Daulah Islamiyah (Islamic State) in Southeast Asia incorporating Indonesia, Malaysia, the southern Philippines, Singapore and Brunei

Not sure what percentage of Singapore is Muslim, but they seem like the odd bods in that plan - even PI has a large Muslim population. I guess Singapore was in the wrong place when the JI founders started coloring in their map : have to wonder where they drew the Malaysian border on that map ....

Archived