Art Galleries in BKK?

kamui

Hi guys,

any recommendations for good art galleries to visit in BKK?

With good galleries, I mean galleries for contemporary art who deal on an international level, not the boring stuff for tourists.

There is a gallery listing at Rama9art, but I won't stay long enough to visit even a third of them...

Silpakorn University - the University of Fine Arts - often has art displays on its campus just north of the Grand Palace. They will be free and housed in an old palace building. Sometimes it will be the students' work, other times local pros. (The students are a very talented group, the best the nation has to offer. I used to teach them in the 1980s - brilliant people whose English was zilch.)

The National Art Gallery is a bit further north - across from the National Theatre. Haven't been there in ages, but it should still be there.

p.s. Silpakorn was founded by Professor Corrado Ferocci, an Italian artist. He's the one who designed the figures at Victory Monument and most other monuments (Rama I Bridge etc.) The students have to study all periods and styles of arts. Only then can they choice to do what they want. Excellent art faculty!

PT me when you get into town. I have a mate who's a director of a big gallery and who also teaches art at Chula. I'll put you in contact with him.

Cheers,

SD

That's great. I am not sure the exact date when I will be in BKK, it will either around July 27 or Aug. 8...

Silpakorn University - the University of Fine Arts - often has art displays on its campus just north of the Grand Palace. They will be free and housed in an old palace building. Sometimes it will be the students' work, other times local pros. (The students are a very talented group, the best the nation has to offer. I used to teach them in the 1980s - brilliant people whose English was zilch.)

The National Art Gallery is a bit further north - across from the National Theatre. Haven't been there in ages, but it should still be there.

I have visited the National gallery 3-4 years ago, and it was nothing to talk about...

It was there sometime after the city government had the idea to set up a kind of permanent 'art fair' on the grounds of the museum for local artists to present their work. I guess they didn't had a jury for the fair, because the works exhibited there were crap.

Archived