Why pay more? Because you are in Thailand!

Mentors

There is no excuse for it Phil. I am sure Thais would bitch like hell if they got charged more in any farang country. Nice to put up a sign somewhere, in Thai, that says Thais pay $5 extra, all others xyz price, and see how they like it.

What pisses me off is Thais here who try to excuse it, as well as some "Thai apologist" farangs. All I ever hear from the Thais is "it is different here..." and when I ask "How?" all I get are blank stares, like I am wrong and should know...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

its all about conditioning oneself (deluding if you will) to a status quo that wont change thus not get hacked off about it :)

Troy,

It may go on in Hawaii, but it is not that common in many other places. California state parks are the same price for everyone, despite the fact that part of my state taxes go to keep them running...National parks etc, all the same. If a private place were to be caught double pricing, they'd get screwed, not sure why it is allowed in Hawaii?

When did you get into a NATIONAL PARK for free?

My truck can seat 6 people comfortably and if they are all with me, they all can get in for free.

This isn't just Thailand. This happens right in the good old U.S.A. Living in Hawaii, I saw it first hand. Many of the tourist spots, Sealife Park, Hawaiian Cultural Center, had prices for residents and non-residents. Considerably cheaper for residents. Some of the golf courses had a three-tier pricing system. Residents, non-residents and Japanese. Anybody who still lives there now can update my info as this was back in the 90's. I could pay 19 bucks at a municipal course for 18 holes, non-residents were more, don't remember how much though and Japanese were 125 bucks. I know this for a fact as I golfed with my co-worker who is Japanese and had a friend from Japan visiting him. They tried charging them both but my buddy showed his Hawaii driver's license.

My point, this goes on everywhere and it's unfortunately gonna go on till the cockroaches rule the earth.

Exactly. Just another one of those many things the unwashed masses think that makes LoS special. It's not, really. But they just need something to bitch about. It amazes me that they even travel. Why? They seem so unhappy doing so...

Cheers,

SD -- Vegas & Miami same as your description of Hawaii

because enough good things off set it, seems alot loose focus on that.

twisted double pricing though being annoying symbolize the lack of political correctness and pandering that dogs the west.

hum hum.... when visiting you, you showed your ID card everywhere so we could get in for free, others had to pay.

Double pricing exists everywhere, same same here in Belgium, locals pay less or get in free.

So what ? :dunno:

BB

because enough good things off set it, seems alot loose focus on that.

:banghead: Geez, I have to agree with LP. Ya, the fact that farangs get so many "free passes" just goes right over the heads of these dipshits!

Cheers,

SD

But it is NOT different OH. Plenty of examples already abound in this thread.

And what about the perks I get as a farang? I can get a VAT refund even if I live here (cuz they don't check so much) when travelling. I can get a 5-10% discount card to various shopping malls (Robinson's, Paragon/Emporium, The Mall, etc.). I have the ability to jump the queue at a hot/trendy establishment as the doorman will let me in just cuz I'm a white guy (usually w/o a cover charge too).

Just a couple of examples of perks strictly because I am a farang. Thais cannot get that.

Those few examples add up to more cash in pocket than a few baht in park admissions!!!

Cheers,

SD

I agree, it is not worth arguing about, I pay it. I just happen to think the practice is wrong. I am more than certain if someone, or enough people made an issue about the double pricing in the USA, the practice would have to stop, or become more covert.

Archived