Why pay more? Because you are in Thailand!

Mentors

I'm good with it. I'm not willing to trade my "farang" perks for the B200 in park admissions...

Life isn't fair. That's the way it is; but the trade-offs, when you find them, make it moreso. I've learned that...hell, I knew it when I was about seven years old! You need to follow Mekong's signature line.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't just Thailand. This happens right in the good old U.S.A. Living in Hawaii' date=' I saw it first hand. Many of the tourist spots, Sealife Park, Hawaiian Cultural Center, had prices for residents and non-residents. Considerably cheaper for residents. Some of the golf courses had a three-tier pricing system. Residents, non-residents and Japanese. Anybody who still lives there now can update my info as this was back in the 90's. I could pay 19 bucks at a municipal course for 18 holes, non-residents were more, don't remember how much though and Japanese were 125 bucks. I know this for a fact as I golfed with my co-worker who is Japanese and had a friend from Japan visiting him. They tried charging them both but my buddy showed his Hawaii driver's license.

My point, this goes on everywhere and it's unfortunately gonna go on till the cockroaches rule the earth.[/quote']

Exactly. Just another one of those many things the unwashed masses think that makes LoS special. It's not, really. But they just need something to bitch about. It amazes me that they even travel. Why? They seem so unhappy doing so...

Cheers,

SD -- Vegas & Miami same as your description of Hawaii

While I am not going to whine about the practice (in Thailand or elsewhere), I will say there is a difference between the practice in Thailand and in the USA. The difference in Thailand is it is executed along strictly racial lines. In Thailand, if you look Asian, you get the local price. If you look foreign, you get the foreign price. In the US, the discounted prices are for those who prove themselves to be locals. I cannot go up to a hotel in Hawaii and simply claim to be a local, and get the local price. I have to show an ID.

Either way, the practice is still appalling ...

If I whip out my Thai DL, I 90% of the time get the Thai price*, so your point is invalid. It is, actually not racist, but just a quick way of determining. In the US, a local can look like any race, so looks cannot count. In LoS, you look Asian if you're a local cuz that's easy for staff to deal with (tho' I've seen them charge Koreans & Japanese who did not speak Thai farang price). Very simple.

This is just a subject for those who can't find enough to bitch about in life. Boring.

Cheers,

SD

* -- so 10% of the time you're right; you think the US is any less racist? Puh-leeze!

This comes from my lady, who stays in hotels with her family, where farang also stay. One sign written in Thai, using Thai numbers, detailing the rates, another in English with our rates. The difference has been over one thousand Baht per room, per night.

It may surprise you to know that quite a lot of Thai's have money these days and like to go to the same places that we do...

Guest lazyphil

yes i know there are thais who have money, its not uncommon to see (hear them to identify them as thai) thais in cambridge either at university or as tourists. as for thais in farang hotels, yes i said not many thais stay where farangs do.....

maybe thais just dislike farangs and charge more which begs the question why live there with such an attitude towards farangs?

I guess I'm old fashioned...I believe in treating everyone equally.

Furthermore, such dual pricing would be illegal in many nations (due to its racist overtones).

But what do I know....I just live here.

If you work here pay Thai Taxes and have a valid work permit then you are entitled to the lower tier price in any goverment attraction including National Parks, I get lower rate all the time just showing my work permit. Tax that I pay goes into goverment coffers and as such I am allowed to use facilities at a lower rate since I am continually contributing towards the upkeep.

A prime example of dual pricing in the UK is at football (soccer to my far atlantic cousins) matches. Lots of teams increase the prices when they have a home game against Manchester United since they know its going to be a sell out.

Siam Ocean World has 3 prices?

I only see one sign.

Farang. 850

Farang kid. 650

They have a special price for Thais and ExPats?

It should be displayed, no?

I can understand Thais or expats getting a discount or entering free any facility supported by taxpayers..but Siam Paragon Ocean World or other private enterprises are justified in overcharging people or tricking them with unreadable signs?

(What other shops in the Paragon are doing this?)

That's despicable. That's why it's a popular subject on the forums and why Thais are getting a new reputation worldwide.

Before, Thailand was considered the brothel of the world..now, it's the Nigeria of Asia.

Too bad.

Archived