Why pay more? Because you are in Thailand!

Mentors

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
:sleeping:

"The foreigner fee debate is often reduced to polarized arguments  essentially “tourist sites are racist†vs. “travelers who complain are entitled and stingy.†(Plenty of foreigners will argue the latter.)"

I think there is third, those that are tired of hearing about it.

TH

Yes, I believe this receives far too much thought than it deseves....Farang put too much political emphasis towards this 'issue'. 9 out of ten instances, it's not going to break you. It is what it is. This self-important aspect....folks should surely get over themselves.

Again, it is NOT the money for some anyway, but the principle. You are right, it won't break me, or most, and I can pay it or not, I pay it and don't give it much more thought...when the discussion comes up, I/we discuss it...other than that, it is a non issue.

Again, it is NOT the money for some anyway, but the principle. You are right, it won't break me, or most, and I can pay it or not, I pay it and don't give it much more thought...when the discussion comes up, I/we discuss it...other than that, it is a non issue.

I've been in residence forever. Outside of the obvious situations {national parks, historical parks, etc}, I've never paid more than any Thai when it comes to anything else.....

Yes, but many here have pointed out, that they do not have to pay extra at the parks etc...I would assume you, as a resident would also be exempt as well.

I know years back, a friend bought some zoo tickets, paid the Thai price and we both went in, same for Muay Thai tickets, and some other park fees. Once or twice, it was questioned, and she explained that she was paying...so the local price was given.

Yes, but many here have pointed out, that they do not have to pay extra at the parks etc...I would assume you, as a resident would also be exempt as well.

I know years back, a friend bought some zoo tickets, paid the Thai price and we both went in, same for Muay Thai tickets, and some other park fees. Once or twice, it was questioned, and she explained that she was paying...so the local price was given.

Nonetheless, I don't give to too much thought. This subject matter and pissy whinging sounds like a newbie/wannabe issue.

It is used for age, residency, sex but should it also be used for race/nationality?

I have found that when I produce my Thai driver's license, they honor it as a resident and thus get the Thai price..

I do understand where they are coming from in that foreigners make more money than Thais(but we know this is not an universal case unlike say age), the gist of the problem stems from the fact that thais just don't understand discrimnation and alike practices...

Discrimination is inherit in their culture and they have done little to recognize and root it out...

What is their history and background - democracy and democtratic principles?

I give them a little slack due to ignorance..

CB

Archived