Bandito ATM - How Does ATM Software Work?

Well, gents, after 10+ years of using ATM's, in probably 25 countries, with no problems, I finally had my day of reckoning.

Last Friday night, a Compaq brand ATM machine operating under the Krung Thai Bank flag failed to deliver the 15,000 baht I had requested, but went ahead and debited my US-based account anyway. On the Bangkok end, all I got was a "Transaction cannot be procesesed at this time" message.

I visited Krung Thai Bank yesterday, and they politely called up some sort of communication record printout - sure enough, my transaction apperaed, along with an indication that my account as debited, and therefore money was dispensed. I was told that the next step would be to check the cash balance in the machine the next time it is serviced - and that I would need to come back in one week to learn the outcome.

OK -as far as that goes. I guess I can imagine a Thai banking technician making - what, maybe 20,000 baht per month ? - reconciling the cash in the machine and saying "oops, there's an extra 15,000 baht here - above what the computer record says should be here. I better turn the money in and report the problem!"

Hmmmm.

So, anyway,does anyone out there know anything about data logging or event records in ATM Machines? Particularly Compaq ATM machines?

I know a bit about machine logic, and if there is a continuous event log, it should be pretty easy to differentiate between which sequence occurrred, duringa specific 3-4 minutes on time on a given date:

Sequence 1:

Assemble 15 bank notes

Eject ATM card

Eject banknotes

Print receipt

Eject receipt

Display "Please take your cash, card and receipt" message(s)

Return to standard screen.

Alternative # 2:

(Choke)

Eject ATM card

Display screen: "Transaction cannot be completed at this time"

Anyone with insight into how a failure could be documented is welcome to respond.

I had previously used this same machine (and its predecessors at this location) without incident, on many, many occasions - same ATM card, same withdrawal amount.

Thanks,

The Bangkok Butterfly

Compaq technician is not allowed to reconcile the machine. It is done by at least two bankees who, I believe, would not want to compromise their professional integrity.

The machine is, depending on how busy the location is, replenished every 1-7 days.

As Compaq is an outsider in that field, I would think the location is not the busiest one, may take whole 7 days.

NCR and IBM are the kings of busy locations, some of their machines are repleshed every day, so the reconciliation takes place daily.

If what you have described had happened in Farangland, I would be certain to get my money back. Hope Thai bankees are made of similar solid material as ours. In the ATM and on the mainframe computer, there are all the evidences to support your claim.

(ex NCR ATM software developer..)

Archived