Electric

FAT_AUSSIE

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had never really noticed the cost of electricity in LOS but this months bill is coming close to what 3 months of electricity is here in Aus. Eceptions being in Aus the house is lit with many downlights as opposed to economical flourecent lights in the house in Thailand. In LOS we run two air con units, 1X 22,000btu and another @ 12,000 btu, the latter runing quite often. In Aus were run rev cylce splits (heating). I tend to think that each of the two homes in either country uses a simmilar amount of power allthough here in Oz my bill usually comes in @ around AUD$180/THB 5000. Thats for tree months.

This month in LOS 3500THB,thats just for 1 month!

Seems a little excessive, an no nothing dodjy, seen the bill myself.

Do these figures sound right?

How many of your neighbors have extension cords running from your place to theirs?

Both your bills for Australia and Thailand should have the KW used and unit price. From that you should be able to make a comparison.

My understanding is that electricity cost in Australia is probably one of the lowest in the world. Mostly due to the availability of cheap coal.

TH

I feel a bit like I'm in that old Monty Python sketch ... "A shoebox! We used to dream of living in a shoebox ..."

But here is CA_USA, our electric rates are absurd, courtesy of our ex-governor and the good folks at Enron et al. My monthly gas & electric is about $1000 per month. Admittedly, I do have two central air units and a pool.

I feel a bit like I'm in that old Monty Python sketch ... "A shoebox! We used to dream of living in a shoebox ..."

But here is CA_USA, our electric rates are absurd, courtesy of our ex-governor and the good folks at Enron et al. My monthly gas & electric is about $1000 per month. Admittedly, I do have two central air units and a pool.

PG&E has always been highter than SoCal Edison (which I have here in the Central Valley). But $1000 per month? Man, u must keep the temp on the AC set at 65 ! I,too, have 2 ac units and a pool. Not anxious to see the bill next month, with our average 102 the last two or three weeks and more to come. Worse for electric I've ever had was 2 or 3 summers ago...$600 ! Gas in the summer is usually about $15-$20. Move inland, away from PG&E!

HH

base unit costs in bkk supposed to be 3bt which all houses at least should get away with?

but mark ups in condo's very frequent as faust mention 2-3-4x no problems as long as the farang kee-nok pays up :hmmm:

that said I believe 1-2k is average for me with frequent a/c running in 1-4 rooms

@ base rate...

so yeah 5k does sound excessive, but with a high mark up or neighbors plugged in not impossible ;)

actually according thaivisa/bangkok post rates are incremental as follows, but plans to increase the rate for high consumption up to ~4bt?

"The current rate structure charges 1.88 baht per unit for the first 150 units, and 2.77 baht per unit for 151-400 units. Usage over 400 units are charged 2.97 baht each. The rates exclude monthly service fees of 40.9 baht as well as energy adjustment charges, otherwise known as the Ft charge, of 0.4683 baht per unit."

Anyway what does 1 unit correspond to? 1kwh? anyone knows?

My understanding is that electricity cost in Australia is probably one of the lowest in the world. Mostly due to the availability of cheap coal.

TH

Uttaradit I believe draws its power from the Sirirkit Dam hydro electric plant.

No extension cords running next door, but maybe I shoud run one to the gov't school we have next door and take thier power.

Archived