Panthip notebook experience

FAT_AUSSIE

Hi all,

To begin with I'm not overly computer savvy, I just use the things and hope for the best.

Last week on Friday arvo I picked up a compaq notebook from one of the stores on the second level in Panthip. When shopping around I asked about OS and found that all offered whatever OS I requested. When asking for OEM they all gave me a price which varied widely from one store to the other but none of the retailers actually had an original copy in store to actually sell. I searched about 8 different stores. Anyways I thought well If I cant really pick up OEM the they must sell everything with copy shit. So when in Rome. I Picked up the notebook, they told me the would load it with all sorts of sh!t, and they did. I took the notebook back to my room and flew back home on Sunday without really looking at it. I did'nt connect to net at all with it whilst in Thailand. When I got it home here in Aus I firstly had a sus of the security suite and found that it was just some dodgy copy with some sort of fifty year patch. The three adobe programs all required key gen/ cracks and there were about half a dozen other useless programs which were actually viruses. The copy OS operates (vista ultimate) but within ten seconds of connecting to net MS picked it up and put the brakes on or so it seems, but like I said it still operates, but with headaches. This weekend I will be scrubbing the HD and installing legit Vista ultimate and trusted/ useful programs-avntivirus.

So there you go, for those of you in the same situation as myself with little time nor inclination for the techinal side of computing then beware when shopping at Panthip and or buying non genuine PC software.

Lesson learnt.

Hi all,

To begin with I'm not overly computer savvy, I just use the things and hope for the best.

Last week on Friday arvo I picked up a compaq notebook from one of the stores on the second level in Panthip. When shopping around I asked about OS and found that all offered whatever OS I requested. When asking for OEM they all gave me a price which varied widely from one store to the other but none of the retailers actually had an original copy in store to actually sell. I searched about 8 different stores. Anyways I thought well If I cant really pick up OEM the they must sell everything with copy shit. So when in Rome. I Picked up the notebook, they told me the would load it with all sorts of sh!t, and they did. I took the notebook back to my room and flew back home on Sunday without really looking at it. I did'nt connect to net at all with it whilst in Thailand. When I got it home here in Aus I firstly had a sus of the security suite and found that it was just some dodgy copy with some sort of fifty year patch. The three adobe programs all required key gen/ cracks and there were about half a dozen other useless programs which were actually viruses. The copy OS operates (vista ultimate) but within ten seconds of connecting to net MS picked it up and put the brakes on or so it seems, but like I said it still operates, but with headaches. This weekend I will be scrubbing the HD and installing legit Vista ultimate and trusted/ useful programs-avntivirus.

So there you go, for those of you in the same situation as myself with little time nor inclination for the techinal side of computing then beware when shopping at Panthip and or buying non genuine PC software.

Lesson learnt.

I wouldn't install Vista anymore, since Windows 7 is coming out in autumn which is said to be much more notebook friendly. Currently a free and legit beta of Windows 7 is available which will run until March/April next year and which could then be replace with final Windows 7.

what's wrong with xp?

running too smooth for ye? :)

well pantip is the dodgy of the dodgy'est, but I actually bought a new acer in a 'respected' shop like central's power buy (which have much the same prices as pantip & one can actually suss out the selection within 15min or so guided with 'real' sales person LOL).

anyways typically all/most computers come with 'free sw' like linux and a bunch of other more or less gunuine stuff, but if insisting to buy/upgrade to Windows OS they will typically load it in for 500bt for you or one can buy the dvd for ~200bt do it oneself.

Yes what they load is a copy & in my case they advised not to do any 'security upgrades' on it basically switch 'updates off' LOL, but when I indeed upgraded to SP2 & latest security no issues so far (usual restrictions of copies will exist).

All in no issues whatsoever, but if looking for OEM it's available I guess the price is typically several thousand bahts? :rolleyes:

Archived