Speaking Thai - What Kind?

Pescator

By that I mean do you do as the romans?

Or do you speak like they do in the media akin to the queen`s english?

Having little in form of formal thai education I definitely tend to speak like the man on the street. Both when it comes to vocabulary and pronounciation, skipping consonant clusters and generally leaving out personal pronouns altogether (except for an accosional Pee, Nong, Lung, Paa etc. thrown in for good measure which doesn`t shed light over anything) thus proudly contributing to the general thai confusion of "who the Heck are we actually talking about".

Being literate in thai I do know the correct and formal pronounciation, but as I hardly ever hear that I would today have a hard time getting used to that.

Once in a while I do get comments on that. "You know Luea is actually Ruea, a dog is a Sunak, not Maa, eat is Taan not Gin bla. bla.."

"You say it like that yourself, mate!" "That is different, I am thai!"

Gimme a break. I don`t use gutter language just everyday vocabulary and pronounciation and if that isn`t good enough, well, then I don`t really care much.

Of course my wife is to blame for all of that. :p

Hi,

Sounds like my experience reflects yours. I too have learned my Thai mostly by listening and mimicking. As a result I too talk like the people around me.

Have actually been told several times that my Thai sounds 'natural' rather than the clinical sound of someone who has learned his/her Thai in a classroom and articulates everything perfectly, but without 'life' in the words.

Sanuk!

Archived