Carrying Passport in LOS

MooNoi

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, almost every country in the world requires non-resident foreigners to carry a passport or some form of official ID that shows their entry status.

Consider the complications when a foreigner with no passport (or at least a copy) has an incapacitating medical emergency or accident. If that person has no ID, days or more can go by before some hotel notices that a guest is missing who hasn't checked out. John Does aren't particularly well cared for: you don't want to be one.

Even if you have a drivers license from your home country, it can take your embassy a long time going through agencies to locate family members or next of kin.

We bitch about it but the passport law is there for a good reason. Yes, a B10,000 fine seems outrageous but then again, what's the fine and penalty for the same offense in your home country?

BTW, if you are carrying a copy, make sure you also have a up to date copy of the active visa page or stamp.

>...Even if you have a drivers license from your home country, it can take your embassy a long time going through agencies to locate family members or next of kin...

It took the US Embassy about 1 hour to come up with next of kin, etc. They had immediate access to my friend's passport application (5+ years old?) and came back with his details.

I've always tried to get a color copy of the relative page and the visa stamp. I also try and get a local (usually the hotel clerk if they are proficient enough but sometimes the embassy if I'm getting a visa ahead of time) to write: in case of emergency contact blah blah blah, also where I'm staying locally and someone to contact in america in case of medical or legal emergency. If I can remember, my blood type as well.

A seasoned traveler once told me some horror stories long ago and I usually try and remember them.

I wouldn't pay a fine on the spot if that were me. 10k baht is a lot of money. At least to me. In Pattaya I'd ask for the aid of the volunteer police if that happened to me.

I was stopped by the police for the first time in my 10 years of travel to Bangkok in July 2008. I was walking back to the hotel with a friend after Soi Cowboy had closed. The police came up the road on their motorcycle and asked where we were going. I said in Thai that we were headed to our hotel on Soi 22. He kept speaking English and asked for our passports. I had a copy of mine and my friend did not have his with him. They patted us down, then told us we were free to go and said tell your friend to carry a copy of his passport in the future. I told some Thai friends and they were convinced that the police were looking to get money out of us but I'm not sure. As we walked on, I did see them stopping others that were walking around.

A few years ago, when the Chaing Miaw immigration office had a website that included form in which Thai Immigration officials answered questions about visas, etc. they mentioned that only immigration officers are empowered to ask to see a foreigner's passport.

That was a number of governments ago, but a member of the Royal Thai Police, while empowered to ask for identification, does not (according to that now defunct site) have anything to do with your immigration status.

Having said that, as jack_schist points out, the policeman who stopped you to pick up a little cash doesn't care and doesn't want to hear it. He just wants the cash.

Archived