Any Updates on Samui

ozbod1

Hi Jack,

not sure if you have gone yet but thought i would chuck in a few ideas anyway. I've been to samui a lot but only passed through chaweng afew times so no pointers there bit to built up and hectic for me but nice beach.

I tend to stay in Lamai, it has a nice beach bit more coarse than chaweng but great for swimming. It's quite small but has plenty of bars and enough nightlife to keep you entertained. It is far more relaxed than chaweng and a million percent less traffic too.

Next to lamai are the grandfater and grandmother rocks which are interesting but more importantly i reckon the best thai restaurant on the island is there to, sabae inglae, all the locals go there, it is on the beach and very reasonably priced.

Next is hue thanon the only muslim village on the island, there isn't much to see but if you carry on into the village and through it there is a nice beach at high tide.

southern samui is a delight hardly any farang some good eateries and a real island feel, take a bike turn of the ring road at hue thanon and head to saket on the back roads and you can find many lovely spots. Lipa noi beach is usually quite desolate but is great for watching the sun go down before heading back to the hotel for some night time activities.

North of the island is an area from bophut to choengmon. Choengmon is a lovely beach possibly the best on the island. Inland you can visit the waterfalls but they pretty rubbish but if you go to the viewpont near namuang waterfall2 it's stunning, make sure you go all the way up there are various view points on the way up, i think there has been an upgrade on the road now as it used to be a track after the initial road ended.

Snorkelling isn't that good as water visabilty is poor but there are a few places near lamai, but better to go to koh tao which isn't to far on the boat.

Naton is nice, hardly anyone goes there but it has some great restaurants and some old style thai houses. The restaurants on the harbour are not so good imo.

If you need anything information wise on lamai let me know. There is a complete mix of people there of all nationalities i guess chaweng would be the same. Never really noticed drunken brits per se but there are drunken people for sure but a good mix of families too. Girly bars aplenty but not in your face and i've seen plenty of couples go there too it's quite relaxed.

hope this helps a little, there is loads to say but i'm not sure what you need to know

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Busy Bee, I am in samui at the moment and having a very relaxing time. Staying a few streats back from Chaweng beach in a seviced apartment at 23k a month for 1 bed room and lounge with 25 metre swiming pool.

Lats few days i made it out to Grandfather/mother rocks and also south to baan talay and then i a temple on top of a farking big hill that bikes could hardly get up.

Also went up to bor phut beach which is quite nice and have a couple of beers. New GF here works long hours so i have plenty of time to explore the island. Been to bar areas of lamai for a look but girl appear fairly second rate but A very nice change from pattaya and BKK. No way could i play even if i wanted as girl has a nose better than a police sniffer dog. certainly sems very quiet here with many bars and restraunts without customers even over xmas new year.

all in all really good to get away from the hooliganism of pattaya.

JS, funny you should mention that. I must admit I hav'nt been to Samui for years, used to go regularly but the last time was around new year 2004. I was living in Bangkok at the time and popped down with my now wife. In the few days we where there I saw more fights in Chaweng than I've ever seen in Pattaya!

Simie.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back at work after my month in Samui. Samui seemed like it had a very short high season. apart from 23dec - 5th jan things seemed very quiet. I did visit soi green mango and soi reggae as well as bars in lamai and they all were very quiet. although they probably kicked off very late well after i had gone home. Girls were all isaan of course and seemd older and in some cases harder than thier pattaya sisters. Only saw 2 that i thought were attractive and most were quite old. Amazing seeing young guys (21-25) wandering around tescos with BG girlfriends that looked mid 30s. i guess no substitute for experience. Samui would definately disapoint someone who was looking for the pattaya or bkk style P4P. But i guess that the big attraction to Samui. other thing i noticed was teh definate lack of places to go for a day time drink.

What did amuse me was how they can have a "beach road" in Chaweng where you cant even see the beach due to all the bech front property being built out and unaccessable. Public access to beach was very limited. I found this very disapointing. My only other complaint was the fact that to get around you really have to have a motorbike which at xmas time was hairy at times with some of the crazy farangs on bikes. I think xmas/NY death toll was 5 in 7 days all from bikes.

I really did like the other side of the island though, from Bor Phut to Hua Thanon was rather peaceful and relaxing and i guess thats what i was really looking for. BP dropped from 140/95 to 117/73 which is the lowest it has ever been. I did find in genral that people were a lot politer and tips were not expected, although when you did give a modest tip it was definately appreciated.

Certainly a different trip for me but it was very enjoyable and relaxing. I will definately go again.

Hav'nt been to Samui for years for various reasons but I remember one time there where 5 farangs killed in one weekend on motorbikes. A Thai girl I was with at the time said to me "why farang come here to die?".

Simie.

Way more Thais than Westerners die in motorbike accidents on Samui.

No great point really, just that my post was about farangs dying on Samui and I was'nt discussing Thai deaths. Just out of interest I noticed a statistic somewhere that an average of 38 Thais a day die in motorbike accidents. If that figure was a correct average it would really be quite staggering as it would work out at nearly 14,000 a year!

Simie.

Edited by Guest
typo