Parents plead for return of missing US student

Flashermac

It doesn't necessarily have to be a person of fame and fortune to get attention...

CB

Even though it's the more well known or elite that get the press. I don't buy into this nonsense. People missing everyday....what makes the individual more/less important than any 'common' fellow. Much related to the social engineered manner in which were forced to look up upon or admire someone because of the class station in life. What if he wants to be lost....??

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone see/hear of the book/movie "Into the Wild" was about some over privileged wank job who went off to "find himself" or what ever the fuck it was, ended up dropping dead in the Alaska wilderness...shit like this happens to guys with money and privileged and a ticket home...poor people just fuckk up and die or go to jail...

Did you actually read the book or see the movie?

Both the movie and book (better) were quite interesting and a moving story.

He was a highly intelligent and thoughtful kid who struggled with a very poor father/family relationship...

He came from modest/ have means background and no means "a rich spoiled little brat" syndrome if that it was you are impling. His total net worth at his age ($25,000) he gave away most of it to charity BEFORE he went on his spirtiual journey...

He had some balls (most americans whether rich or poor would never do) to do this effort of finding oneself (what do you think monkhood is all about?)...

As to his death, he just made strategic/inexperience mistakes in the wilderness but his journal/diary indicated he had personally resolved some of his issues at the end of his life...

Quite a moving story and a lot can be learned from his lessons. He had the courage most people do not/cannot take and thus those people continue in a miserable and unfulfilling life and never attempt to resovle their open issues...

OH, this is a bad example of the point (whatever it is?) you are trying to make that Chris M. (into the wild) is like this kid (which so far we know nothing about)...

Pure speculation..

CB

Age 20 what, just out of University, and not a cheap one, and his parents were going to foot the bill for grad school as I recall...$25K at his age? when most kids exiting Uni are in debt? I think he fits my bill pretty well as an upper class spoiled kid with issues. He was anything but a poor struggling kid.

Only saw the movie, did not read the book. I swear I met him or tons like him at Grateful Dead concerts and around Berkeley over the years...I'll stand by my comments.

I will add, that at the time of the movie, I commented that I felt he probably suffered from a mental illness, and I stand by that as well. Sane people do not do what he did, how he did it.

Additionally, let me add, I have seen tons of kids of privilege finishing Uni, going and fucking off on some pseudo spiritual quest...the poor kids went and got jobs. Seems all these noble quests these kids go on, only or mainly pertain to kids with money and means, and a place to return to when finished...the rest deal with reality.

First of all, I think you got some of the facts wrong. He was 24. The 25k was remaining monies he received from a family friend to cover undergraduate and graduate school..

His father was a technician for NASA and Mom a secretary for a school is a far cry from upper class stauts. Granted, the father had later a successful financial consulting business that thus deemed them as eventually upper middle class label...

But I think you are way too much simplifying things into have and have nots, white vs blue collar class, educated vs working bees, priviledge vs hand to mouth existence.

As you are aware, there is upper class and upper middle class and that represents a huge gap between the two. Then, within the upper-middle class, there is an immense range within this class. Think about people who live in Walnut Creek vs Orinda or San Rafael vs Tiburon or Menlo Park vs San Carlos

All these cities are mainly upper-middle class but I can tell you tremendous differences socio-econ levels between these cities...

Based on what was described about this family and kid, probably fall within a place like walnut creek or san rafael...That is a far cry from upper class or high end of upper middle class like woodside or atherton or hillsbourgh..

Upper-middle class are people who still have to work in great paying careers or jobs or set-up well financially (with budget). But this world is another world far from the upper class or the priviledge class as you described.

Some will argue me included that the upper-middle class is closer to the working/middle class than it is to the upper class in terms of attainment even though upper-middle class and upper class share similar values, educational background and investment advisors...

It is too easy and not an accuate picture to put people either in a rich or poor category. The levels within each label vary greatly...

This kid didn't belong to a Rockerfellow clan nor even the son of coporate 500 CEO..

He is a faceless upper-middle class off-spring whose class is so broad and rangy that it defies tyical stereotyping as what you have put forward..

CB

A common person of moderate means if they can articulate and communicate with passion can get the eye of the media (meaning if the media likes the bi-line) and then let the media run with the story...

CB

That's not how it really works, my friend. You must not get out much.

Archived