Netbook

radioman

My opinion of netbooks and the reason I have one.

Weight around 1KG / 2.2lb

Battery life 4.5~5 hours netbook compared to 2.5~3 with a laptop (Asus 1005HA with 6 cell battery is claiming 9 hours plus now)

If considering purchase go for a model with Intel Atom Processor at least 1 GB Ram and a 160GB HDD not flash drive.

A netbook is not as good as a laptop, but it all depends on ones own needs. The screen ratios are usually weird for graphics, keyboards smaller (Asus and HP Mini series the best at 93% size of full keyboard). On the plus side its the same weight as an A4 notepad (old pen and paper days) I can have all of my project specs and drawings in PDF format at hand whenever out in the field, I can easily connect to the internet / office network using my mobile phone as a tethered modem (Citrix Interface). Part of my remit is to install and commission the full Telecoms / Data network on this project so we dont have one yet hence the alternatives.

If you don't need ultra portability / long battery life a notebook wins hands down over a netbook. As it says on the label, a Netbook is great for Internet interface, this forum (and others) emails, reading websites, chatrooms etc, but not so good for actuial computing such as VDO editing SQL databases etc, its all down to personal requirements. For me the netty is akin to carrying a screwdriver in my toolkit 25 years ago.

Then again I am a geek who has Twin 23" monitors on my Desktop at home, a 17" Laptop, 10.3" Netbook a 3GS iPhone and a Nokia N97

Straycat.. does the subwoofer add any improvement to the sound? I have only seen one shop at Pantip that had the N120 and it was way too expensive at 16,900 baht ($512). I am considering finding someone to bring me one over from USA ($385)

Not really, to be honest. I think the sound is pretty thin but I guess it might be an improvement compared to other netbooks.

The sound in my MacBook Air (which has no woofer and only one speaker) is much better. Vaios speakers are also superior.

Well a night of trawling the web and a day spent trudging through Zeer and I have what I want. At a price that was more than I really wanted to pay but for a machine that I think is just about right for me. Soooooo, what did I get, Asus Eee PC 1101HA, This is slightly bigger than the average netbook with a screen that runs at 1366x768, processor is the Intel Atom Z520 and I paid the extra 700 baht to upgrade the 1GB RAM to 2GB, 160GB hard disk which seems standard as of now. I liked the slightly bigger size with a very usable keyboard, not yet sure about the claimed 11 hour battery life but it does last a bloody long time, been running all evening and I'd say realistically it will probably be about 7-8 hours with normal use. No burner, of course but my portable hard disk does fine as a replacement for carting dvd's about anyway. Even the charger is small at about 1/5th the size of a regular laptops

Like Mekong said this thing is like a modern day screwdriver for me. I'm not into heavy video editing or intense processor tasks on the road but have machinery at home to do that when I want. What I need is what this thing does, even plays movies.

Well happy and will be giving it a good workout over the next couple of weeks on the road.

Welcome to the club Radioman, the more you get used to having a netty with you the more you will think "how the hell did I do without one" I replaced my 1002HE with the 1008HA 3 weeks ago when I was home on rotation and the wife now has the 1002HE which fits in her handbag and she is well into it.

Looking forward to your feedback when you have truely test driven the thing.

....Well happy and will be giving it a good workout over the next couple of weeks on the road.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. :nono: They're not as tough as they look.

My Asus netbook is perfect for dragging along on trips because it's lightweight (2 lbs) and rugged. The components (including the HD) are all solid state -- no moving parts to break. I took it with me on my last trip to LOS from USA and had no problem with it.

Archived