Countdown to Beatles Launch 09.09.09

Mentors

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By buying the re-mastered albums, you can accomplish two things; indulge your Beatles passion and help support the Michael Jackson estate in their hour of need.

i think he didn't have the rights for the Albums anymore, he sold them back some years ago.

By buying the re-mastered albums' date=' you can accomplish two things; indulge your Beatles passion and help support the Michael Jackson estate in their hour of need.[/quote']

i think he didn't have the rights for the Albums anymore, he sold them back some years ago.

According to Snopes and Wiki, he and Sony jointly owned 50% from what I can understand. The money Jackson received was in 1999 for a merger between Sony and ATV. Beyond my comprehension but it seems he did not sell his share.

This is a copy and paste from wiki.....

"In 1985, after a short period in which the parent company was owned by Australian business magnate Robert Holmes à Court, ATV Music was sold to Michael Jackson for a reported $47 million (trumping a joint bid by McCartney and Yoko Ono), including the publishing rights to over 200 songs composed by Lennon and McCartney.

In 1995, Jackson and Sony merged its music publishing businesses.[158] Since then Jackson and Sony have jointly owned most of the Lennon-McCartney songs recorded by The Beatles, although Lennon's estate and McCartney still receive their respective shares of the royalties. Despite his ownership of most of the Lennon-McCartney publishing, Jackson only recorded one Lennon-McCartney composition himself, "Come Together", which was featured in his film Moonwalker, and HIStory album."

Wiki info

Snopes info

Archived