Taipei

jonjon058

I hope you speak some Chinese; it can be a very inhospitable place. I remember I went to the dedicated English assist centre at the main railway station, could not speak a word of English. It was the same as when I went out. So, unless you get lucky with an English-speaking local, good luck.

I hope you speak some Chinese; it can be a very inhospitable place. I remember I went to the dedicated English assist centre at the main railway station, could not speak a word of English. It was the same as when I went out. So, unless you get lucky with an English-speaking local, good luck.

Me no speaky Chinese, but hope to get rucky with Engrish speaky rocal. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Tainan (near Khaoshiung) for about 6 months in 91/92 and I used to go up to Taipei every month to buy some western food.

I don't remember the night life in Taipei that well (probably cos it was crap) but the red light district was inappropriately called 'The War Zone', which suggested something wild and dangerous. However it was actually extremely tame and safe.

I never liked Taiwan and found most of the people quite unfriendly, so I was absolutely devastated when my employer transferred me to Thailand. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I am back from my most recent trip to Asia. Taipei was actually fun if you are staying down near Taipei 101. There were a number of good bars within walking distance of 101. One had a fixed 500 NTD charge to get in and then it was all you can drink. I took that challenge. They may have changed that policy after my visit.

The clubs are dead until 10:30pm, then they start to fill up quickly. One bar next to the one I went had themes for the girls each night: short skirts, sailor night, bikini night. There were lots of cute girls and they seemed happy to have a foreign guy approach them, although I noticed they were more selective when the local guys hit on them. I ended up spending most nights with the same pretty local girl who took me around on the weekend to some amazing places I would not have known about if it wasn't for her.

In general, Taipei was good if your looking to meet a local girl and you have a bit of game. I didn't have any problem not being able to speak Chinese.

I didn't explore the p4p scene there, so no idea what that is like.

I can't remember the names of the clubs but here is the location for the all-you-can-drink place and the ladies-theme-night place for interested (they are next to each other): 25° 2'8.37"N 121°34'1.18"E

Archived