What paperwork is needed for farang to marry a Thai in Bangkok

robaus

Danger Danger Will Robinson!

Don’t panic, mates. It ain’t me getting married. One of my ex tilaks has found her big love and wants me to help her with the paperwork.

What does she need to have?

Thanks for your help.

:beer:

Thai Nationals

1. His/Her Identification Cards;

2. Their house registration certificates;

3. Proof of divorce or in the case of spousal death, proof of death must be made available.

Foreigners

1. A copy of their passport including their arrival card;

2. Affirmation of eligibility to marry from their Embassy;

3. Translated copies of the affirmation in Thai certified by an approved Foreign Ministry Translator

Thai marriage procedures

1. Obtain the affirmation document from your embassy;

2. Complete the affirmation document and return it to your embassy; (Embassies fees/procedures vary)

2a You would have to provide an income statement;

2b Copy of your divorce order or death certificate of your spouse; (If divorced or widowed)

2c List your children and ages and;

2d Two citizens in your home country as references.

3 Collect your signed affirmation document from the embassy the {same or} following day, depending on embassy {or consulate};

4. Have your affirmation, (divorce order or death certificate of your late spouse) translated into Thai. {This is seldom required, but is recommended, if marrying in a small amphur or to sell embassy services.}

5. Take the affirmation and documents together with translations and copies of your passport to the Legalization Division of Consular Affairs Department, where the Consular Official's signature will be authenticated. This takes a few hours.

There are two fees available: -

a. Baht 400 per document, and it takes up to two full days or

b. Baht 800 per document for the same day service.

6. Wait a few hours or collect it in 2 days from the Thai Consular Affairs office;

7. Take the documents to the local District Registrar (also known as the 'Amphur') who will register the marriage and issue the marriage certificate. {There are two copies in Thailand and they will not issue new ones if lost so take good care of them}

{8. Have certificate translated to English or your home language before leaving Thailand as they are costly to do overseas, Also if you intend to use it for visa or immigration purposes check for certification requirements by the desired country, as some require the Thai government to certify the the translation. Personal experience not official policy }

This is copied and pasted from Wiki.

Link

Check with your respective Embassies in Bangkok and they will most likely have a list available for you of what is needed. Pleanty of 'Visa offices' across the respective Embassies that take care of everything for a reasonable fee. This takes a lot of hassle away.

If you come well prepared with he correct paperwork early in the morning, you'll walk away a married couple in the early afternoon.

Its not accurate at least in relation to a Brit getting married to a Thai. Check the embassy website for the country of the guy involved.

Couple of things, you dont need an income statement, no need for two referees you dont need any....... and so on

Chrisg sorry you off the mark with your comments

Take a look at the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry form I have attached for referance and you will see that clause (f) asks for referee's. Certified Proof of Income is not requuired but a declaration of employment and salary is.

The Process is complete the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry form then take it to respective embassy along with ORIGINAL Decree Nisi / Death Certificate of ex spouse if previously married.

Have the said document translated into Thai and then present it to "The Legalisation and Naturalisations Division, Department of Copnsular Affairs, Ministry of Consular Affairs, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok. There are many companies around Ploenchit area who will do translation and run the forms to MFA for a minimul fee. Wiki is wrong this is required.

Thai female requires ID Card, Housebook, Divorce Papers or Death Certificate if previously married. NOTE if Thai female is less than 9 months out of a previous marriage she also needs a certificate from a doctor confirming she is not pregnant.

Take documents to City Hall and fill in the paperwork. When we did ours we got there 30 mins before it opened and were given a que number right away, just so happens our local amphur is Bangrak which is popular for marriage for the obvious reason. Doors opened at 8AM and by 9:30 we walked out certificates in hand.

It was some 8 years ago, but I the US Consulate form seemed very similar to the UK one. I don’t recall the income question, but I know I had to put the name(s) (can’t remember if it was one or two) of someone in the US. They did not want to see the divorce certificate as all they do is notarize your statement it is true.

Once we got the form notarized at the US embassy, we paid an agency (I don’t recall how much, maybe 6,000?) to take care of the rest. They called us after a couple of days and took us to the Amphur (Bangrak) as well, jumped the queue and were out the door in about 30 minutes with the marriage certificates. Money well spent.

TH

Archived