PP crackdown

jack_schist

There had been two raids in June and July already, one for allegedly "forced prostitution" and one for allegedly the girls showing too much flesh.

When I was in PP at the beginning of August the girls were very careful not to show too much (no microskirts, no bellybutton visible) and they told me that the bars were checked by plainclothes police.

But during my stay in PP I forgot to write about it here on the board, mainly because I wasn't aware that the situation would become so severe just a few days after I had left PP.

It would be really bad, if the bar scene would be finished just after coming to life in the recent years (there was only one bar in street #136 in summer 2004...)

Even more than in LOS money talks in PP and those who have the money rule above all, therefore I think it will be easy for major investors to have cleaned up street #104 and #136 in no time.

:(

It doesn't look good. Here quote form Khmer440:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Just received an sms from an employee at Updown that the bar is closed.

[color:red]Wasn't it about 4 months ago or so that they said they were going to close all bars near the riverfront?[/color]

Well I'm sitting opposite Updown as I type this - it's not closed but it's all-but-dead, as are all the bars in the vicinity. The basic thing is this - the owner of the new hotel Lux bang next door to Updown has handed over a cool million to 'clean up' his block. [color:red]All the bars in that block are doomed[/color] unless they rapidly convert to yuppie restaurants. Whether this sweep will spill over to other blocks remains to be seen. At 2 am curfew has been imposed on St. 104 over the last 2 nights.

And we think Thailand is corrupt...

The Thai might be corrupt, but they are nationalistic at the same time, while the Khmer are only corrupt. Khmer elite politicians/bureaucrats/businessmen for example sold of the (fully working) main police station Siem Reap and the Art Academy in Phnom Penh to private investors. There were even rumors that someone in the government tried to sell a part of the land which belongs to the Royal Palace in the center of PP.

Other examples are the giving _the whole_ Angkor area as a lease to an Indian company and recently leasing the Killing Fields to a Japanese company.

Cambo is probably the only country in the world which has given its historical, spiritual and cultural heart (Angkor) into foreign hands.

:cussing:

The hostess bar raids have extended to Siem Reap:

Club owner, 2 managers are charged on sex law

Friday, 21 August 2009 15:02 Chrann Chamroeun

E-mail Print PDF

THE owner and two managers of a karaoke bar in Siem Reap province that was raided by police last week have been charged in provincial court with aggravated procurement of prostitution, court prosecutor Nuon San told the Post Thursday.

Police arrested the three suspects, who were charged Tuesday, during a raid Saturday at the C-Star Karaoke Club in which they also rounded up 27 Vietnamese and 15 Cambodian female staffers.

Nuon San said the 42 women had not been receiving salaries, meaning their only earnings came when they flirted or slept with customers.

Nevertheless, he said, [color:red]the staffers had supported their bosses, which made the case difficult to investigate[/color].

"It took several months of investigation before we could launch a raid on the club," he said. "But we knew from customers and from other people that the staffers were having sex with customers, which has severely impacted our country's culture and reputation."

The women were briefly held at provincial police headquarters before being sent to the Department of Social Affairs, which sent them to NGOs or vocational training centres.

Nuon San identified the Korean club owner as Jeong Jong-jin, 52, but he declined to identify the two Vietnamese managers.

He said they face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Phnom Penh Post

:(

Archived