Thai guitar heroes

panadolsandwich

Why is Lan playing back at Blues Factory??

I heard he had a falling out with them, and then went and opened his own bar - "Lan Morrison Rock Club" or something, but I noticed that he was playing in the Blues Factory again when I was in Pats last week.

He's an okay guitarist - but has a bit too much "wank factor" for me.

I really like Sek Loso as a guitarist in Thailand, but my favourite is the guy from the band "Taxi - he's great! :thumbup:

Why is Lan playing back at Blues Factory?

I noticed this too but I only stayed in Pattaya for 2 or 3 nights on my last trip and he did not play any of those nights so I never got a chance to ask why. My guess and I'm ONLY guessing that it's to much work to fill a place all by yourself night after night.

He's an okay guitarist - but has a bit too much "wank factor" for me.

I know what you mean. I think he's a good player and entertainer when he's on he's best but like I said before it just got to boring in the end. The man himself is really funny and I loved having a drink with him and the band when they'd finish playing. The guy have some great stories from playing around the world and he still love girls. Watch him play and look at he's head when a young girl walks by. It's priceless :grinyes: He really reminds me of Keith Richards.

I really like Sek Loso as a guitarist in Thailand, but my favourite is the guy from the band "Taxi - he's great!

I'll check out Taxi. I like Loso to. Just wish Sek would let loose and go more wild. It all seems so smooth and it's more pop to me than rock.

Has made him a superstar though so I guess he's doing something right.

:bangit:

• 2 months later...

Hendrix copied Dick Dale's style, even the left handed Fender. Dick Dale started the distortion technique and originated playing wild versions of National anthem, Hava Nageula, Amazing Grace and other standards.

At the time, Hendrix, seemed great, it was new and, with acid great. Listening to him now is boring. His songs were mostly just copies and his voice sucked. The 3 piece band sounds like something's missing. He needed a rythmn guitar, but his ego was too much for that.

Thai guitarists are amazing. I saw a little 14 year old kid, at the Pattaya music festival, on a makeshift side stage, jamming, who blew me away. Thai musicians rule.

Dick Dale? what a joke, I like his ads the best especially the pizza one, oh he also did stuff for Disney, what a revolutionary! He also claimed to be the originator of the surf sound in the 50's! He was not fit be on the same stage as Hendrix.Dale is the Ron L Hubard of the guitar world, is there anything else, oh yeas he claims to be an expert architect and builder as well.

You seem a bit confused about Hendrix, first you say he was new (bet you never saw him) then you claim his songs were mostly copies, which do you want to go with? Which songs were copies, apart from a few covers like rolling stone, all along the watchtower, hoochie coochie man, Johny B good etc.

Yeah, I posted on this in General Discussion, but no-one seemed terribly interested. I dont care how 'derivative' it is - I would pay to see Chatreeo Bae : the guy shreds, pure and simple:

Almost 900 Youtube vids of him playing everything he can get his hands on, and most of the fucksticks in this country wouldn't know him from the guy who made their lunch, but they'll tell you that Slash or that clown from U2 is a 'demon guitarist'. I've also seen some very good Filipino musos in Jakarta, but thats about it.

This has to be the worlds stupidest guitar, but the guy has a sense of humour. Most of the Prima Donnas going around today couldnt even get a note out of something this awkward -

http://www.youtube.com/user/chatreeo#p/u/111/-LUW7DuON1k

Dont get me wrong - I like Vai, Petrucci, Satriani and a lot of the Scandinavians, but they wont be doing YouTube vids for laughs anytime soon.

Archived