Issan and others

FAT_AUSSIE

<< I've seen that in a former girlfriend, who lived in an area of the North that had Muang and Issan villages intermixed. (though not within the same village, interestingly.) >>

My Mrs remarked to me a while back, "Remember how [my village] was surrounded by rice fields? It isn't any more." Seems Isaan natives have settled all around there. Sort of strange. Maybe they see it as a step upward. :dunno:

Kham Muang isn't hard, if you already speak Thai. But it isn't as closely related as Isaan Lao. I can speak much more Lao than Kham Muang. :(

I'd view the Northerners' disdain for other Thais speaking Kham Muang as similar to an American in the South listening to a damnyankee trying to sound Southern ... or maybe a Scot listening to an Englishman murdering the Scots language. :hmmm:

As "ignorant foreigners", we can get away with butchering Thai, Lao, Kham Muang, Pak Tai etc. :)

p.s. Where ya been, WLL? Long time no post.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> I'd view the Northerners' disdain for other Thais speaking Kham Muang as similar to

> an American in the South listening to a damnyankee trying to sound Southern .

I think that's different because that's essentially the same language, just different accent. With Kham Muang you're mostly using different words, so closer to a different language (or dialect at least)

Mi Wi Mee, and her fandamily, a mix of Isaan, Laos, Khmer, and something called Sooue (Sp?), oh and Thai as an afterthought.

Being rural, they do have their village character, but most of that comes from having never had two satang to rub together.

Fortunately now, due to sons and daughters working all over the place and raising the family's general standard of living, they can afford a few more luxuries, and the nieces get to go to University, (where they work like trojans to get the best grades, not like students in NZ).

In terms of the original proposition, my experience of women from SEA, Europe and Oceania is that the Isaan ones, tend to be very loyal.

But really, once you scratch the clitoris they all tend to be the same, generally.

Any differences tend to be about perceptions of wealth and social standing, and you don't have to single Thais out, to be able to observe those differences.

JHMO

Cheers

Coss

Archived