Bank accounts

Just got a BKK Bank account a couple of weeks ago on my return (also sick of paying the 150 baht ATM fee - cunts). Showed my Thai driver's license, wife showed her ID. Got it after a while even though the new kid doing it for me was basically brain dead. Got a call a couple days later asking me to come in and bring my passport and visa so they could copy it for the main office, which wanted it. Not a problem as I'm on an O visa (married to a Thai) 1 year unlimited enries. Have an account and ATM card now at Bangkok Bank.

• 2 months later...

I'm still using ATM cards issued 13 years ago. Don't think they expire. If they do, or you lose one I guess you need to go to the branch, Doubt it would be posted.

One point I've not seen mentioned here is that I think there are differences between a current account and a savings account. I have savings accounts with ATM cards , no questions asked. Not sure about a current account though.

Maybe not having a permanent address could make things difficult ie. where would they send the new ATM card to when the old one expired ?

The ATM card for my SCB savings account is good for 10 years (expires 2019). They don't mail them, you go into a branch and they give it to you right there. For me, they wear out long before they expire.

It is a electronic use only Master Card debit card.

TH

Archived