Phnom Penh info needed

devils reject

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gents,

I'm off for a Cambo visa run in a few weeks (never been there before) and I'm looking for some info regarding accomodation.

)

Also, what are the best bars to find some decent crumpet atm.

Thanks for any info.

"Also, what are the best bars to find some decent crumpet atm."

What does this sentence mean?

There are two nightlife areas now. The old one with the Walkabout Hotel, Shanghai Bar, Heart of Darkness and Sharkey's. And the new one near the river side with street #104 and #136

Near the river front several hotels/guest houses are conveniently located within your price range. I just stayed at the Velkommen Inn at #136. Other places could be River Star Hotel (at #108?) with a great view on the river (and the noise from the main street). You could just go to #136 and check out the 2-3 guest houses there.

PS: Please report back how the night life situation in PP is after last months crack downs.

"Also, what are the best bars to find some decent crumpet atm."

What does this sentence mean?

Sorry, it means which areas or bars have the better looking working girls.

Are there any places that you recommend, or avoid at all costs?

I haven't heard of real rip off joints to avoid.

Generally all hostess bars have similar girls, a similar setup, only sometimes the interior looks differnt. Just check out several bars for the girls, music, design and atmosphere.

Don't expect any wild scenes after the August crack down. I didn't even see a belly button during my last trip.

Check out the Pontoon disco on a boat near #136. A very laid back place. I have fond memories of the place, resting on lounge with a nice girl next to me, hearing nice music and watching the river flow by (it was earlier in the evening). ON the other hand "Heart of Darkness" seems to be completely 'out'. No BG did want to go there anymore, because the Khmer men going there have a really bad reputation (arrogant high so Khmer, the only ones not being searched for guns at the entrance, but probably the most likely ones to carry a gun...)

My only advice: not all girls go with customers, therefore I would ask early before you invest too many ld's...

PS: Since I went there the first time in 2004 in never paid more than 20 USD LT.

PS/PS: I often started my evening at Sharkey's, playing pool with the girls (freelancers) and having decent Hamburger. The Khmer food is really bland and is no comparison to Thai food, unfortunately. Even their national dish 'Amok' is IMHO not that special.

Like Kamui said, Sharkey Bar is a place for freelancers. Casual upstairs joint that's been there for years and years. Can get sandwiches and side dishes. The girls will approach in two's and three's if you look the slightest bit interest. Pool tables. Very relaxed atmosphere. Some occasional decent-looking talent.

Word on the Walkabout is that it is now frequented by skank whores looking to get money for their next yaa bah. And not very good looking ones either.

My favorite is Martini's. Haven't been to the newest location, but from a report it seems to be the same type of set up as previously. Food available, reasonably priced beer, an "outdoor" amphitheatre featuring flickering Chinese movies (555555555) and a small dance floor on which to undulated and seduce your pick of the litter. This is freelance HQ. As with all places, some nights are good; some not so good. $20 LT is doable...but you might have to negotiated down from $30. Like everywhere, depending on the seller and the market that night...or that week. I never had a problem finding a suitable date from there.

The options and quality and quantity are NO WHERE near BKK or Pattaya. But for a visa run, it will work.

HH

The backpacker area around the lake is dirt cheap and nice cheap place to eat and look at non flowing water.

Can you recommend any guesthouse for about 10 dollars? I visited there last time when I was in Phnom Penh in 2003 and liked the scene.

What about security in PP nowadays, is it a concern? I'm going there alone for the visa run.

The backpacker area around the lake is dirt cheap and nice cheap place to eat and look at non flowing water.

What about security in PP nowadays' date=' is it a concern? I'm going there alone for the visa run.

[/quote']

IMHO PP became more secure in the tourist area, and the tourist area became much bigger along the river front. But nevertheless I kept all valuables in my room safe and did not walk outside the tourist area at night...

Last year, I stayed at Flamingo, and had luck from/in the beer bars that opened up at night literally right outside the place. Black Cat was 1 such. Heart of Darkness and Walkabout all within walking distance, and a few other places as well.

I love Martini's! Cool place. Air conditioned Disco inside, if you need to cool off. Good food, plenty of girls. Decent prices as well.

Martinis is another cool place, but I think the girls tend to be older.

In previous trips, I stayed at the now gone California 2 on the river...loved sitting on the balcony watching the sun set...a nice place/area to watch day turn into night.

Archived