Phnom Penh info needed

devils reject

Want to try Pontoon, but keep hearing different accounts. One group of mongers tell me it's not a place to pickup girls, Just a place for locals to bring their girlfriends for a dance, while others state freelancers are avaliable. BTW, don't go on Thursdays if you are straight, it's an all gay night.

TC

When I was in Pontoon it didn't seem to be a distinct pick up place, but later at night I saw some some freelancers from Sharkey's e.g.. The audience is a mix of hi-so Khmer and Barangs. As I said before, *all* girls I met wanted to go there, while neither wanted to go to HoD anymore.

One Friday night I was in real a Khmer disco with my girl du jour. The place was in a street near #136, not much advertising outside, an uninviting entrance hall you had to walk through and a big, design-less dancehall like space. It was packed with 'normal' Khmer and the place was jumping with a mix of Khmer and Western techno. I haven't seen any other Barang (or freelancer) that evening even though we had place near the entrance and could see people coming and going. The Khmer in this disco were much more friendly compared to discos like Orange or HoD.

It felt like the punk/new wave discos I went to in the 1980s: a little bit rough, and the people were there for to have fun together, not for to show off.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the place nor do I remember the street number, just that it was near "Huxley's". But I wouldn't go there alone anyway...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Staying at Flamingo. Had some expensive men's cologne stolen. Not sure if it was a girl or one of the hotel staff.

My stay at the Flamingo. It's a smaller but newer hotel.

I never had any issues of anything missing.

Can happen anywhere though. But as of yet, nothing missing in any of my trips.

I did meet some 'regulars' - farangs that travel to Cambodia on a regular basis.

One Yank chap married a Vietnamese gal whose family was left over from the occupation by Vietnam. An interesting circumstance. Nice gal.

• 1 month later...
The backpacker area around the lake is dirt cheap and nice cheap place to eat and look at non flowing water.

Can you recommend any guesthouse for about 10 dollars? I visited there last time when I was in Phnom Penh in 2003 and liked the scene.

What about security in PP nowadays' date=' is it a concern? I'm going there alone for the visa run.

[/quote']

You might want to check Rory's guest house

http://www.rorysirishbar.com/

I stayed there a couple years ago and for the price it was decent and safe. Located right across from the National Museum. I didn't stay there last year due to the fact I had company with me but stopped in for a couple drinks and things seemed to be running as usual.

Short moto ride to HOD area.

Staying at Flamingo. Had some expensive men's cologne stolen. Not sure if it was a girl or one of the hotel staff.

Can happen anywhere though. But as of yet' date=' nothing missing in any of my trips.

I did meet some 'regulars' - farangs that travel to Cambodia on a regular basis.

One Yank chap married a Vietnamese gal whose family was left over from the occupation by Vietnam. An interesting circumstance. Nice gal.[/quote']

I always stay at Flamingos: great location, free airport pickup, really nice and friendly staff, free internet in the lobby, you can't go wrong. Rooms aren't anything special but they're not crap either.

Can happen anywhere though. But as of yet' date=' nothing missing in any of my trips.

One Yank chap married a Vietnamese gal whose family was left over from the occupation by Vietnam. An interesting circumstance. Nice gal.[/quote']

I always stay at Flamingos: great location, free airport pickup, really nice and friendly staff, free internet in the lobby, you can't go wrong. Rooms aren't anything special but they're not crap either.

Except that the night life scene has partially moved to the riverfront.

I'd like to go back some time. What are the good cheap hotels near the riverfront?

And how much is ride from airport to the riverfront by taxi?

At least with the Flamingo, they pick you up so usually no hassle.

But I might try the riverfront next trip. Any hotel names?

I'd like to go back some time. What are the good cheap hotels near the riverfront?

And how much is ride from airport to the riverfront by taxi?

At least with the Flamingo' date=' they pick you up so usually no hassle.

But I might try the riverfront next trip. Any hotel names? [/quote']

True, but the riverfront is a quick walk from Flamingos by day, a quick moto ride at night. And while I like going out by the riverfront, it's nice to finish off the night where you can literally stumble a few meters from your last bar to your hotel door...

• 4 weeks later...

Just came back from Phnom Penh and stayed in a great hotel 3 months old on 136 street 30 meters from the riverfront street and right across from many bars. 30 dollars a night and immaculate and larege rooms. It's called the Lux and its about 20- 30 meters from the Norfic guest house which I stayed in the first night for the same price and there was no comparison. Lovely hotel and very friendly staff and when I asked to check out at 2:30 PM they said no problem.

Archived