Best route for road trip

radioman

I'm planning a road trip for maybe next week. Part of the journey will involve going from Korat to Pattaya and I'm wondering about the best route to take.

Is it better to take the road back to Bangkok or is the 304 and 331 equally as good? Not looking to do it at great speed but would prefer a (Thai) decent road.

I'd definitely avoid bkk at all costs particularly the horrendeous saraburi+rangsit bottle necks :(

I did a small part of the 'scenic route' in khao yai area I guess that's the 304/331 alternative route running between korat-chachoengsao & nothing wrong with that road at all. mainly I expect it to be dial carriageway, but with much less traffic than the '2'+'1+ alternative.

So I'd go scenic route anytime although not gaurenteed the fastest/shortest.

enjoy (google maps is your friend)!

Good stuff guys thanks, looks like the 304/331 route is the one to take. I did a bit of this recently, BKK to Chachoengsao, and figured it would be okay if the whole route is similar.

The whole trip should take us from BKK to Nakhon Sawan then across to Korat and then down to Pattaya and finally back to Bangkok. Hopefully the weather will hold and we can do much of it with the top down. The cars top that is not hers!

I always use route 304 when I drive from BKK to Isaan, much more pleasant and less traffic than the main highway to Korat.

Just after Wang Nam Khiao (near the top of the "mountain" range) there is a nice place to spend a night:

'Bahn Thale Mok resort at 1,200B was the nicest of all places we stayed. It has heaps of

recreational facilities (rock climbing, children's playground, dancing floors, swimming

pool, conference hall, parks) and although quite large, we were one of only 2 guests that night.'

Archived