Director Roman Polanski in Swiss custody

zzzz

IMHO he should serve his time. He had a comfortable life, without paying for one of the most terrible crimes a man could commit: raping a child. And there is no question at all that he did it.

Reminder: Roman Polanski raped a child

Roman Polanski raped a child. Let's just start right there, because that's the detail that tends to get neglected when we start discussing whether it was fair for the bail-jumping director to be arrested at age 76, after 32 years in "exile" (which in this case means owning multiple homes in Europe, continuing to work as a director, marrying and fathering two children, even winning an Oscar, but never -- poor baby -- being able to return to the U.S.). Let's keep in mind that Roman Polanski gave a 13-year-old girl a Quaalude and champagne, then raped her, before we start discussing whether the victim looked older than her 13 years, or that she now says she'd rather not see him prosecuted because she can't stand the media attention. Before we discuss how awesome his movies are or what the now-deceased judge did wrong at his trial, let's take a moment to recall that according to the victim's grand jury testimony, Roman Polanski instructed her to get into a jacuzzi naked, refused to take her home when she begged to go, began kissing her even though she said no and asked him to stop; performed cunnilingus on her as she said no and asked him to stop; put his penis in her vagina as she said no and asked him to stop; asked if he could penetrate her anally, to which she replied, "No," then went ahead and did it anyway, until he had an orgasm.

Full text at Salon.com

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bet he is wishing he took that deal in '77

I thought that he DID take the deal, pleaded guilty ..... and then the judge stated that HE, the judge, would not stick with the deal. RP said fuck that and fled. There must have been some circumstances, unknown to us that made the prosecutors offer such an easy deal (I think he was supposed to be sentenced to that original 42 days of treatment or some such). However, once the deal was struck, both sides needed to stick with it. I'll bet if they said, hey, next time you're in the States, come in for the official sentencing of "time served" and we'll guaranteed be done with it, that RP would have done exactly that

I guess the judge felt the same way.

However, rightfully or wrongly, there WAS a deal.

Not fair to make a deal with a man so that he'll confess to a crime, then to renege on your end of the deal.

The US court system seems to really fucked.

On a very personal side, until a decade ago we all looked up to the US, because everything seems to be much better and higher developed than in the rest of world. Now it seems it is much less developed or more corrupt than in other Western countries (court/law system with the most prisoners of *all* industrialized countries, millions without health care, a financial system which brought the world economy down, corrupt politicians, biased media...). Not that we do not have our own problems, but it seems on a lower scale.

<< Not fair to make a deal with a man so that he'll confess to a crime, then to renege on your end of the deal. >>

Happens though ... usually in federal courts.

Most famous one was with Al Capone - who agreed to plead guilty to income tax evasion to get a light sentence and instead was giving a lengthy sentence in a maximum security federal prison.

Polanski files motion requesting release

Polanski has filed a motion requesting to be released from detention.

The Bellinzona court said in a statement Tuesday that it will make a decision on the matter "in the next weeks".

Any verdict is subject to appeal from both sides.

The renowned Polish-French director was arrested on Saturday as he arrived in Zurich to receive a film festival award for his life's work. He is being held in prison awaiting possible extradition to the United States.

Although Polanski is a regular visitor to Switzerland, Bern says it moved to arrest him on this occasion in accordance with a mandate from the United States, which told them the number of the flight and its time of arrival in Switzerland.

The Oscar winner had fled the United States in 1978 on the eve of being sentenced for drugging and having sex with a 13-year-old girl at actor Jack Nicholson's home.

He has lived ever since in France, which, like Switzerland, will not extradite its own citizens to the United States.

Rape is unacceptable behavior at any age.

The story provided by Samantha Geimer has changed over the years. This one is from 1997.

" But my sister heard me telling my boyfriend on the phone what happened. My mom asked me if it was true, then called the police."

The press at the time (1977) quoted her directly as 'bragging' to her girlfriends. (A slight but important distinction to telling her 'one' boyfriend) And her mom overheard those conversations.

At age 13, she was well experienced in sexual behaviors.

Again, rape of a 13 year old is unacceptable behavior. And blaming the victim is always unacceptable.

LINK

If the US wanted this guy, they would have gotten him years ago.

Why now?

The story provided by Samantha Geimer has changed over the years. This one is from 1997.

" But my sister heard me telling my boyfriend on the phone what happened. My mom asked me if it was true, then called the police."

The press at the time (1977) quoted her directly as 'bragging' to her girlfriends. (A slight but important distinction to telling her 'one' boyfriend) And her mom overheard those conversations.

At age 13, she was well experienced in sexual behaviors.

Again, rape of a 13 year old is unacceptable behavior. And blaming the victim is always unacceptable.

LINK

Why now?

a free cell?

Exactly, not condoning at all what he did.

Why now?

That is the correct question.

Its all about Swiss hypocrisy at its best to compensate US the list of UBS customers.

Polanski is just a sweetener for that.

He had a house in Gstaad, when in and out there a few times a year.....untill now.

Or is there a DA in Los Angeles that is seeking re-election that we dont know.

Rotten system to act so late.

BB

Archived