is 'sponsoring' always the beginning of the end?

WorldFun

The end is about getting as much money for as little work as possible

My experience is quite the opposite. I make good money, but I am by no stretch of the imagination rich. My wife has a nice home with swimming pool in Thailand, we go on a holiday at least twice a year, and she is able to support her family. We also have a healthy young son, that we love very much.

Sounds ideal, doesn't it? It does, but we still have marital issues. She wants to work six days a week, and I think that's too much, considering the fact that I also have a FT job and our son is not even 3 years old. She wants to be independent, and the only way she thinks she can achieve it, is by working her ass off. I on the other hand, would like her to be more family oriented. Life is too short to spend it working six days a week, twelve hours a day. :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The beginning of the end isn't the decision to sponsor, it's the thought process that identifies sponsoring as a possibility that is the beginning of the end.

Thought this was a good and insightful comment.

I simply can't imagine sponoship leading to anything positive for the sponsor. But its great for the sponsored.

I know scores of sponsored girls, and they all see other guys on the side. I know several sponsored girls that have several sponsors. Not criticizing sponsors, but I do think any guy who sponsors a girl in Thailand is, well, to put it politely, a bit naive.

It would be interesting to see the relationship between (a) time in Thailand and (B) views on sponorship. There are a few of us here that have been posting from Thailand for years, and I suspect that no one who has actually lived here for a few years or more would even consider sponsorship.

I am ambivalent.

Sponsored a girl once, Nok, my first and only real GF here, 8 years ago. She wanted to study massage at Wat Pou, then beauty school in Pratunam. All ostensibly to get out of the bar. I paid for about 11 months, then found the other bloke was also thinking he was the only one paying her to do beauty school.

No mistake, she did the school, i have pix showing it. Just she didn't tell both of ussahe was co-sponsored. If I'd known, I'd still have sponsored, after all 'getting a girl out of a bar' is a noble thing to do, gains you merit.

She did in the end get out of the bar, and as veteran readers here know, our goal was accomplished.

money well spent!

The fact she married the other bloke is immaterial.

My idealistic purpose was "get this wonderful woman to stop being a whore and give he an opportunity to have a real life".

Well it succeeded, only the sad conclusion can be read in "Board Sponsors" Real life can be cruel.

Ikkrang,

Nice story and good on you!!

The ending is OK, as she got out of the bar and even if she married the other guy, we can only hope that she is happy and the bar life is only a distant memory, never to be repeated again.

A bit sad for you but gather up the merit you made and try again.

you realy can not generalise.my best mate "sponsored" (basicaly paid all of her and her families expences for several years) a thai girl he met at his brothers wedding in central thailand.the money was never enough.after several years and numerous trips to LOS he asked her to marry him , despite warnings from his family and thai aquaintences of the "lady".long story short ,the mariage lasted slightly longer than the ceremony, but thankfully not long enough for the paperwork to be finalized.things got nasty and we had to drive him to the next town and bundle him onto the first train south.

i then proceeded to hook up with our interpreter with whom i had developed a friendship over the previous weeks and hit the road for a three week road trip through northern thailand to escape the resultant shit storm.since returning home we have spoken every day by phone , i have visited her again , we explored central thailand together and i have since been introduced to and welcomed by her family.

she insists calling me as the phone calls are cheaper from her end , and it was all i could do to get her to accept small regular payments to cover the calls or to have her car serviced after some of our epic journies. i pay most of the bills on our trips away because i can afford to but have realy argue the point if i want to check us into anything more than the most basic accomodation or take her to a flash eatery. i have told her that should there be an emergency she must call me and let me help , but she never does. not all thai women are alike , and not all farang are drunken sex tourists.

if you support a thai BG half your age on the basis that will have familiar bed warmer for your next visit , don't be supprised if things go pear shaped , and don't mistake that swelling in your pants for true love.

oh , my mates brother is still happily married to his beautiful thai wife. :up::up::up:

Well it succeeded, only the sad conclusion can be read in "Board Sponsors" Real life can be cruel.

hey Mr. ikkrang sir,

That sounds like the kind of thing I'd be interested in reading. Any chance of a cliff notes version being posted outside of 'board sponsors'?

Archived