Rio gets the Olympics

Flashermac

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But maybe they'll be cheaper now in Chicago. :hmmm:

<< COPENHAGEN, Denmark (CBS) ―

Despite four years, millions of dollars in planning and a last-ditch pitch from President Obama, the Chicago 2016 Olympic bid ultimately fell short.

The City of Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting, before any host city was selected. Chicago received only 18 first-round votes. Madrid was the leader after Round 1 with 28, followed by Rio de Janeiro with 26. In the final round, Rio beat Madrid 66-32.

"I was shocked, I was disappointed, I couldn't believe it," Mayor Daley conceded to CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine and other reporters after the decision.

... >>

Kamui: What I meant is, everyone likes to get away no matter where they call home.

Having said that, I stayed home in LA during the 1984 Olympics and it was great. Lightest traffic on the freeways that I've ever seen. I worked at LAX at the time and even THAT place wasn't too much of a zoo. Of course the Bradley terminal was brand new, so it was only 90% obsolete.

From Gazzersgabfest...

As usual, Barry went out of his way to bash America, and George Bush, as soon as he set foot on foreign soil. The One flew to Copenhagen on Friday in an attempt to get the Olympic Games for Chicago in 2016. He failed. Epically. I’ll tell you why. Like many things that Barry attempts, he was inadequately prepared by a staff that was largely ignorant of what is required to get the Games. To secure them for London in 2012, Tony Blair spent three days sucking up to, and wining and dining, International Olympic Committee members. It is an ancient institution that runs on cronyism, self-interest and self aggrandization. Coming, as he does, from Chicago you would think that Obama would recognize that fact, and act accordingly. However, his unyielding belief that he is the most powerful orator in the world, led to his downfall. From Don Surber,

It comes down to respect. President Obama showed none. And in the end, the Olympics committee returned the favor by humiliating the president of the United States…

The committee members need coddling. Barry thought that he could jet in, slay them with the magnificence of his oratory skills and be back home in time for tea. He also totally misunderstands the whole point of the Games. In his speech, with his characteristic off-prompter pauses and stumbles, was uninspiring. It did not focus on the Games, it focused on America. He basically said, I know and agree with you all that we have sucked as a nation these “last several years†(gee, I wonder who was President, then), then goes on to say that the “legacy†of the Games would be “restoration†of the States as bestest buds to the rest of the world. As if there has been any reduction in foreigners desperate to come to America at any time in recent history. So, in the end, he made a dull speech that was largely about America, but also centered on his favorite topic…….himself. Exactly what the IOC did not want to hear.

As Ed Morrissey points out over at Hot Air, Barry could have saved himself the humiliation with just a little leg work, but the echo chamber in the White House just let him blunder in, even though the cause was lost. The Games were just recently in Los Angeles in 1984. They have never ever been in South America, so given the choice between Chicago or Rio, what would you do? It’s a no-brainer. Here’s Ed,

They entered into a situation about which they knew nothing and put the prestige of the presidency on the line without bothering to listen past themselves and the Daley Machine in Chicago. It only occurred to them that they didn’t know the first thing about the situation until after having wasted their time and distracting themselves from much more pressing  and presidential  matters of war and the economy. It’s not the end of the world, but perhaps it’s finally the end of the fawning and obsequious assumptions of brilliance about Barack Obama that have informed his media treatment since January 2007.

True, it’s not the end of the world, but it was an unforced error. Just to round out the cavalcade of ineptness, we have a story over at Michelle Malkin that has Michelle Obama spinning barely believable yarns about watching the Olympics perched on her daddy’s lap.

“Some of my best memories are sitting on my dad’s lap, cheering on Olga and Nadia, Carl Lewis, and others for their brilliance and perfection.â€Â

Um. Ew. Oof. Mrs. Obama was 20 years old when Lewis first competed in the Olympics in 1984.

Ouch! Perhaps Hillary, sole survivor of the Tuzla dash, helped her out with her speech? There will be tears in Chicago tonight. Mostly from Barry’s cronies who had snapped up worthless land parcels in hopes of a quick buck from the Feds had this gone through. Me? I think I will raise a glass to those wacky Danes.

Archived