picking engineering as a profession

dean

I guess it depends what you consider a hard science. I think being a doctor requires more memorization skills than raw math intelligence. If he's not falling absolutely in love with calculus now, I highly doubt that he'll enjoy multivariate calculus, linear algebra or partial differential equations. As far as I know, those are the standard university level math requirements for an engineering degree.

I'm serious about finance. The guys who work in sales can usually only add/subtract/multiply/divide and some make a ton of money. Asian financial markets will be a really fruitful place to be.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What type of engineering did you have in mind?

Agricultural Engineering

Architectural Engineering

Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering

Ceramic Engineering

Chemical Engineering

Civil Engineering

Computer Engineering

Electrical Engineering

Environmental Engineering

Fire Protection Engineering

Industrial Engineering

Manufacturing Engineering

Mechanic Engineering

Metallurgy and Materials Engineering

Mineral and Mining Engineering

Nuclear Engineering

Ocean Engineering

Transportation Engineering

You left out "Choo Choo" Engineering

Hey OP, I'm a 31yr old guy that's currently considering going back to Uni to do a petroleum engineering degree.

Last weekend I spent about 10hrs reading a forum called College Confidential (search google for it), they have a sub-forum on engineering, I'd highly recommend checking it out, it will answer pretty much all your questions.

As other posters have mentioned, your son/friend (I forgot) really needs to have a bit of natural talent for maths, as engineering degrees are known to be quite taxing, mainly in their workload, but probably also in their difficulty (especially for someone without an affinity for math/physics/etc). These degrees are designed this way to test the students; afterall, would you really want some slacker building a bridge, hospital, refinery, etc.

Gareth

while 'core engineering' degrees might turn out a gold mine given some career skill/luck it seems at least in LOS/SEA 'sales' (engineers) are the top sough after which I guess one can qualify either with engineering degree or some sort of business/marketing degree & experiences in the technical domain such as telco/petro/cars/IT-SW/etc.

but really key is to go for something within one's capabilities/interest else it wont turn out well in the end...

good luck!

I remember college calculus as my last math course and not too fondly. I wouldn't try to push anyone into a field sthat doesn't interest them. My problem is now, he is taking english, algebra, world geography and then his "punt" courses (art, drawing and P.E.) which have no homework and, thankfully, inflate his GPA. I won't have a true reading of his interests until he gets out of English ELL, which may be the spring of 2011. I do expect him to have a game plan on how to turn his college degree into a decent paying career, hopefully here but maybe in LOS.

Like Mekong I was Maths - Advanced Maths - and other maths at school - three different levels - Physics and Chemistry - yet Engineering wasn't me first trade.

It found me - it's very satisfying as I like to build things - create things - things I build are advanced satellite based networks (usually but not always) - satisfaction in creating a network no one else has - very rewarding emotionally and can be financially too.

Real money to be made in finance but I personally believe you should be doing a job you want to do. I do my job refusing more boring higher paid ones because I believe in what I do - hasn't been the success I hoped - but the changes I've made are now being introduced around the globe so that to me is very rewarding.

Plus you don't have to spell reel guod.

Plus you don't have to spell reel guod.

5555 reminds me of a discussion my engineering manager had with me a few weeks ago, he said

"I have Just written a Letter to the Contractor and the first paragraph was full of Acronyms and Abbreviations and only contained 3 actual words ... at that point I realised I was writing about Controls Systems"

I think it may be a bit much to expect a kid of 15 or 16 to have some sort of life plan, particularly if he shows no special interest in anything. If you make him do it, he won’t follow it anyway and will forever resent you for trying to dominate him.

At that age all you can do is gently encourage him to do well enough in school now to be able to attend a college or even junior college. If by chance he gets a degree in anything, it will probably have little to do with whatever job/career he ends up with anyway. If he works in some position in the US for a few years, maybe as much as 5-10, then he will be able to come to Thailand and get a similar position and be on the top Thai pay scale. If he chooses to come back to Thailand right out of college in the US, he will still be in demand and should do well. I would go so far to say that even if he goes to a vocational type college (electrical, instrumentation, mechanic, whatever), he would do well in Thailand job market.

TH

Agree totally with TH (What is the world coming too)

Personally life I think is pretty boring if you decide young and stay in the one job for life - pretty much most people I know have changed from what they "thought" - or more acuurately what Mum and Dad thought would be a good career - to something hopefully they enjoy more.

Archived