picking engineering as a profession

dean

I'd prefer not to push him into any one vocation, particularly one that he doesn't like, which is probably math. I don't care about his grades that much, as long as he doesn't flunk a course. What I do care about are comments on his report card that he really doesn't even try much in school. Part of this is his indoctrination into the Thai system of not asking questions in class and some of the other Thai baggage he brought with him from Thailand. His teachers say he is getting better in asking questions but he still puts the minimum effort into his homework (if he has to write an essay, he asks how many paragraphs it has to be and does the minimum). I really hope that, once he completes his ELL courses and can take a full range of studies, a course or two catches his fancy. As far as a high paying job versus a decent one, I don't care as long as its not a minimum paying job with no career advancement. At present, if his motivation isn't there, I don't see him going to the university system in the U.S. Maybe a small college or Juco college would be best. I think that I'll have to play this by ear for a few years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone with a Mechanical Engineering degree and a Masters in Computer Engineering I feel I can weigh in with some good info on this topic.

To put it simply, there is one reason and one reason only someone will choose to go into engineering. Hot chicks. Engineering schools are full of knockouts. The sarcasm is in full effect with that one.

I actually started out studying Finance for a year before switching to Mech. engr. The look on the counselor's face was priceless. He said in 20 years he had probably seen 5 students switch from business to engineering. But if he had a nickle for every student that went the other way he said he could have retired years ago.

Engineering is not for the faint of heart. Unless you love serious challenges, sleepless weeks (not nights), feeling as if you have no clue what is going on half the time; then it's best to stay away. In the end it is worth it, but when professors in your first class say "Look at the person to your left and look at the person on your right... before graduation 2 of you won't make it." they aren't kidding.

Fortunately for me, I suffered through the Mech engr degree first and the computer engineering degree was a cake walk after that. Honestly computer engineering is not "real" engineering. You still have the math and science in the very beginning but it is not as overwhelming as an ME or Chem E degree.

For me it was the challenge that lead me to engineering. I was good in math and science in high school but not a superstar. If someone is willing to apply themselves they will do fine. Best thing is the sense of accomplishment after finishing an engineering degree. If it was easy anybody could do it. With engineering not many can.

• 2 weeks later...
MM, you didn't list the one field of engineering that I'm most interested in:automotive engineering. I can't imagine a more interesting, wide open, high paying job for the future! Do you have any contacts in that field?

I work in Automotive Engineering in Europe.

The main R&D centres for the auto industry are in US, Germany, France, Italy, UK, Japan & Korea. China & India are developing.

Automotive Engineering is interesting & can pay reasonably, but not exceptionally well. There is a lot of boring admin also.

Automotive Engineering opportunities in Thailand will be limited to component suppliers (read low cost, low salary) or satellite operations of Japanese companies (very few openings). Complete Fluency in Thai + English would be an advantage of course.

Archived