Currency conversion or ATM?

Frank_Black

Right now, cash is king.

I have used Aeon ATM and they do not charge the 150 Baht fee and give a good exchange rate.

Last Friday, I got 33.323 Baht when pull USD out of my US account.

Yahoo showed: 33.53 for the USD

Bangkok Bank showed: 33.07 for the USD

Nto sure on T/C but unless you are changing $500 T/C, then you will lose because of the fee that the LOS banks charge for each T/C.

DR,

Onshore v Offshore exchange rates have been discussed numerous times over the years on this board, Onshore always gives a slightly higher rate since "Hard Currency" is going direct into Thai banks.

Frank B

Bring cash and exchange in Thailand, you could also try to open a Thai bank account whilst you are here, again this is a hit and miss process (see other threads on this topic). If you do manage to get a Thai bank account then you will be able to transfer foreign currency to it for future trips when the exchange rate is in your favour.

With the 150 baht charge and the fees my US bank charged it was costing me more than 12USD to go to the ATM and all that I could take out was the equivalent of $500 per day. I have been wiring money from my IRA/Savings account to Thailand in $10k chunks plus using the ATM but started having my entitlements deposited into my money account. I bring over the wires a bit more often but do save a lot on ATM fees. A wire transfer costs me $24US.

I have looked, as has a friend, and cannot find a transparent way to transfer money to Thailand. HSBC was recommended by a banking friend but they also have their charges. You can transfer with PayPal but they want a piece of the action.

zen

Chase bank.

Open an online checking account and the money transfers are free.

A couple of catches...pays no interest and to do an international transfer, you have to be in the USA to initiate the transfer.

I keep the minimum in the account, $500, and when I am in the US I load the account with the funds I want to transfer, done and for free.

Using the Aeon ATM with my US Citibank ATM card, I incur no fees, at this time. None from Aeon and none from Citibank. Exchange is reasonable, usually 0.2 baht under the published Yahoo daily rate.

Archived