Mobile Phone Advice Please??

Hi All,

I am hoping some of you more experienced guys can help me out with some info/advice here!

I am from the UK & currently my mobile phone is registered with bt cellnet, is does allow roaming and works perfectly well in Thailand, but whilst i was in Pattaya recently i allowed a gf of mine to place her sim card in my phone as her phone was out of charge!

Well to cut a long story short it worked perfectly well, i believe her phone is on some kind of pay as you go scheme simialiar to some network providers here in the UK!

Ok so here is the question!

Can i buy a pay as you go sim in pattaya to work on the Thai networks basically so i can use the phone in thailand without paying the crazy rates my current UK network provder charges for using my phone in Thailand even when making local calls??

If so what should i look for/where should i purchase it, and how much will it cost roughly??

Ok so maybe that's 3 questions but i'm sure you guys won't mind!!

Many thanks

Dave G

"Life Without Los Is No Life At All"

> will that sim card also allow International calls as well as local calls?

I am not familiar with DTAC's DPROMPT but the AIS equivalent One2Call has just allowed use of outward IDD. They work on 900Mhz phones. AFAIK they still don't allow use of any form of data communications though, so you won't be able to use fax, modem, GPRS etc. only voice calls.

Cheers

What about phones from US. I have phone service with US Cellular and am not sure if it handles International calls. Is there a way for me to buy a local sim card to use in the back so I can use the phone there?

GSM service where it exists in the US is 1900mhz. Have you been reading the old posts in this forum? Have you gone to www.gsm.org ?

Well it looks like I mis-spoke. After picking up todays paper I see that Thai Mobile has just launched thier 1900mhz service. For the other networks you will still need a 900/1800mhz phone. Phones that will work in all markets are some times called world phones or tri band. Such phones include but are not limited to many Motorola phones such as the "L" series and ericsson t39, t66, t68,... phones like Nokia and Seimans seem to sell the same model with different attributes in different markets. The Seimans C45 was advertised as being tri-band here in Indonesia prior to its launch but everyone I have ever seen on the shelf is dual band. Used phones are cheap enough that it wouldn't not be to expensive to buy a Nokia 3210, Siemans C25, Ericsson T10 or GF768 in LOS and not worry about compatability or modifiying your old mobile.

AG

Archived