US air force Thunderbirds at DMG today

radioman

Just got word that the US Air Force Thunderbirds F16 display team are doing a free show at Don Mueang today starting at 1pm. Gates open at 12 noon.

Not seen it elsewhere on here but probably a bit short notice. I live about 5 minutes away so will mosy on over for a look see.

They were practicing in the area of the new Immigration office. Looked great and I was impressed by how little space those guys needed to make full turns.

I read Thai airforce was buying Swedish Saab JAS Gripen though, correct? I heard (years ago in Swedish media) that Thailand would pay for the planes with FROZEN CHICKEN (Swedish gov to buy the chicken, toss it away, and hand Saab the cash)

You are mixing that up with fire truck/boat purchase from Austria. The Gripen deal was cash.

They paid about $90 mil each (12 planes) for planes that might be worth about $70-80 mil each. I think 6 have been delivered.

The US military and contractors are not happy with this and other deals. Look for the US military to start withdrawing from Thailand in a big way over the next few years. Predications are Cobra Gold will stop being held in Thailand within 5 years. The only holdup now is building up the support infrastructure in neighboring countries it support it.

TH

Hmm, I heard the deal was for 12 but has been rolled back to 6, none delivered so far, some training underway in Sweden. The fate of the 340 EWACS is currently unknown but since it's rather crucial to the whole Grippen thing hanging together JAS39's are sort of white elephants without it, oh, hang on, aren't white elephants kinda special here?

Archived