Khon la Khon

gawguy

Just looked up konla in the dic. and it says each,apiece or different.My guess would be on different so it would mean " a different person "...... ...dont know the best way of saying this,but " cheewit krai cheewit man " might be ok,as in each to their own life.

I hear this sometimes and it might mean something that differs from person to person. Like she likes this and another woman likes that. "Each to his own."

I'm just guessing though. What does it really mean?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

The overall structure "khon la ____" means much more than simply "different person".

If forced to generalize, we could say "each to his own, to each a different attribute". Some examples:

-asking two people if they're heading in the same direction...answer: "khon la thang" (each person is going in a different direction/a different way)

-khon la baep "each [one] does it in their own way" or "each way [in guestion] is different [in some fundamental way or fashion]"

-if you're describing two movie scenes, mistakenly assuming they come from the same movie, when in actually you're conflating in your mind two different films: the person who knows better corrects you saying "khon la reuang"

Archived