'Distracted' pilots fail to land

Faustian

Bizarre! And a little scary!

"Heated discussion" my arse. He was receiving special attention from an air stewardess, I bet...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8321748.stm

'Distracted' pilots fail to land

An inquiry has begun after a US plane heading from San Diego to Minneapolis missed the airport it was meant to land at by 150 miles (240km).

Contact with the Northwest Airlines plane was lost for an hour as it flew at 37,000ft.

The crew later told investigators they had become distracted during "heated discussions", safety officials say.

The plane, carrying 147 passengers, landed safely at Minneapolis after contact was finally resumed.

A statement released by the National Transportation Safety Board said: "The crew stated they were in a heated discussion over airline policy and lost situational awareness."

Board spokesman Keith Holloway told AP news agency that reports that the pilots may have fallen asleep were "speculative".

Nothing will happen to the pilots and I speak from experience.

Years and years ago, 2 pilots were fired for flying drunk. Can't remember the exact trip but I think it was a Sioux Falls-Minneapolis launch (early morning) flight. It used to be, back in the day, the crews would go out at night after the late night arrival and have a few before retiring to their rooms for the morning flight. Anyways, these guys got caught. Bottom line, I know for a fact, one got his job back and then became an instructor. Don't know for sure about the other one. So fly drunk, get fired, get your job back plus a promotion. Cool.

Archived