'Distracted' pilots fail to land

Faustian

If they logged on to their employer's website, as they said they did, I'm pretty sure it would be verifiable. As to whether that's what distracted them the whole time, I guess we can't know unless the site was interactive.

In any case, I agree that theirs should be a career ending offense. I wonder if it could be considered criminal negligence in the US? Probably not. I realize no one got hurt in this incident, but remember the crew of the SQ flight that crashed while trying to take off on a closed runway at Taipei? Those guys faced jail time in Taiwan, pending the investigation, until they were cleared.

The website is interactive in that when they log on, it is registered, and when they make a bid, it is logged. If they are just viewing it, it would not show much other than the log on time and log off time.

Now 1 of the black boxes logs instruments so if they were actually flying,(making adjustments) there would be changes in readings and the other black box records flight deck noises so we could hear what they were discussing or if they were snoring. Easy enough to figure out if the airline/government really wanted to. Also, ask the flight attendant what he/she observed when the flight deck door was opened.

Archived