Best Fish and chips in Bangkok

Faustian

We need to establish the difference between a 'chip' in the British Fish'n'Chips sense and the anaemic anorexic excuse for a potato product that is the 'French Fry' a'la McDonald's et al.

As any Bargirl will tell you, true pleasure is all a question of girth. With due regard for the variations in shape due to the basic design flaws that is the non-cuboidal potato, the British chip is at least 1cm square in cross-section. the thicker the better up to the practical limitations of how long it would take to deep-fry a whole potato. A French Fry is not a true heart-stopping, girth enhancing chip any more than a crisp is.

I haven't had proper chips since leaving the UK. but I'm getting some serious cravings... especially at the memory of the smell of true malt vinegar on chips... :drool:

If they come wrapped in the Bangkok Post, so much the better - wrapping chips in genuine newspaper was banned in the UK years ago by the immune system suppression lobby :shifty:

So, are these places serving real chips and does anyone wrap in newsprint?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McDungald's et al. serve what was known as shoestring potatoes when I was a kid. The fast food places pass them off as "french fries" since they can be cooked much faster. French fries used to be same same as chips in the US of A. Maybe they still are ... except in the fast food greasy spoons.

:dunno:

Try the Fish & Chips or Ship Inn at the end of Soi Ploughboy for something approximating real chips. (English owners.) Imported malt vinegar provided. Dump enough on and they taste real.

Try the Fish & Chips or Ship Inn at the end of Soi Ploughboy for something approximating real chips. (English owners.) Imported malt vinegar provided. Dump enough on and they taste real.

I usually go there for my periodic steak sandwich fix. Meat's been a bit stringy of late. :shifty:

This is fast becoming a nightmare...

For the love of god and all that is holy and virtuous...

There's got to be a good chippy in this god forsaken hell...just how many brits are there here?

Tyfon, I know what you mean about real chips, my stomach let out a loud gurgling type noise when I read your post. The beast requires being sated...

McDungald's et al. serve what was known as shoestring potatoes when I was a kid. The fast food places pass them off as "french fries" since they can be cooked much faster. French fries used to be same same as chips in the US of A. Maybe they still are ... except in the fast food greasy spoons.

:dunno:

Steak Fries

Archived