Stickman on "Changes in Bangkok Nightlife"

Most of the "punters" I know have evolved. Some haven't been in a Soi Cowboy or NEP bar for years. I seem to go every other weekend, but most nights out its a quiet wine bar (Bangkok has them, but overpriced IMHO) with an attractive Thai lass. No headaches in the morning.

But there are some guys you see who seem to live on Soi 4. Can't imagine a life like that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a wine bar sounds nice as does the lass or lasses usually attached as per your posts.

maybe we could even compare vino one of those days... :)

back on topic of course not all punters try to counter the evolution while others may be happy to critisize it. no harm in both cases ;)

cheers!

i remember in the olden days before the clap became resistent to ciprofloxacin. When BGs wantied to find you they would bang on your door at 3am. When Nok the homeless drug fucked ex BG would wander up and down sukhumvit in her dirty clothes. Now that was the good old days.

I wonder what ever happened to Nok...never saw her much after she got hit by that taxi sometime January 2002.

If "Nok" is the girl I'm thinking of, she actually began looking better and better as years went on. For a long time she stuck with her "stroll" between soi's 11 and 5, carrying on her usual dialogs with telephone poles and invisible antagonists. It seemed that each time I saw her, she looked progessivly better; her clothes looking cleaner and her appearance better groomed and healthier. . I was told that some of the businesses around Soi 7/1 took care of her but that is only hearsay.

I last saw her about six months ago, walking up and down Soi Cowboy. She was pretty well dressed, hair trimmed and clean looking but still clearly locked in her private madness.

i remember in the olden days before the clap became resistent to ciprofloxacin. When BGs wantied to find you they would bang on your door at 3am. When Nok the homeless drug fucked ex BG would wander up and down sukhumvit in her dirty clothes. Now that was the good old days.

I wonder what ever happened to Nok...never saw her much after she got hit by that taxi sometime January 2002.

If "Nok" is the girl I'm thinking of' date=' she actually began looking better and better as years went on. For a long time she stuck with her "stroll" between soi's 11 and 5, carrying on her usual dialogs with telephone poles and invisible antagonists. It seemed that each time I saw her, she looked progessivly better; her clothes looking cleaner and her appearance better groomed and healthier. . I was told that some of the businesses around Soi 7/1 took care of her but that is only hearsay.

I last saw her about six months ago, walking up and down Soi Cowboy. She was pretty well dressed, hair trimmed and clean looking but still clearly locked in her private madness. [/quote']

Thats really good to hear she is doing ok, i thought she would have died by now. What you said about businesses taking care of her is probably true as I know some of the girls working around suk did too. I remember one particular girl who worked at Cat House one day grabbed Nok and put 100 Bht in her hand and said to me that often other girls would buy her a new piece of clothing or some food or juice to keep her looking ok. I remember when she got hit by the taxi and ended up in hospital her family was contacted but they wanted nothing to do with her. The sisterhood looks after its own sometimes I guess.

Yeah....us old farts always think things were better. Still it's a pity you missed the shower shows and the mermaids and the famous disappearing frog....

I tell you one thing, after my initial trip I could clearly see the benefit of this forum and having an expat community.

Was in Bangkok for a few weeks and the first two were solo (met up with friends the last part), and the thing I missed most was a certain level of conversation. And people that would 'get' my jokes/pranks. (Of course that can be a challenge everywhere -- couldn't be me could it? Naaaaaaa. :content: ).

Ps. I'm not happy about never experiencing the great disappearing frog. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
"can old-timers guesstimate by what % it's grown since, say, 1990-1995? "

It's really hard to say - I tend to think that it may have shrunk since then by quite a bit. Trouble is there are so many types of venues now and I am really only knowledgable of the freelancer and go-go scene. I think lots of girls - esp. the better looking ones have moved into high-end/coyotee clubs that I can't afford. And I don't go to massage parlors so no idea about those.

The freelancer scene for sure is probably 1/5 what it used to be when the Grace Hotel, Thermae, Nana Disco, Beer Garden were overflowing with girls - many of them young and very pretty. As to the go-go bars - not sure - there are the same main 3 areas - Patpong used to have many many more girls than it does now, Nana probably fewer now, same with Soi Cowboy. There used to a number of other small areas of girls but those were all shut down over the years.

But the main reason why I think there are probably a lot fewer girls now is a simple one. My experience now is that of the girls I talk to 95% of them are from Issan. Back in the early 90s girls came from all over Thailand - lots from Chiang Mai and from the south, from Bangkok. I just think there is a much smaller pool to draw from and when the day comes when Issan's economy reaches the level of the rest of the country - due mainly to tourist dollars to girls - then I wonder if this supply will dry up as well.

I was thinking about this only the other day, going back into the 90's and mentally comparing the way things are now compared to how they were then.

I know though that a relative (to now) lack of knowledge made the place seem bigger and more seductive than it was and with no thought of living here, it was just off the normal radar so far that comparison with anywhere else was meaningless.

The FL scene was much more established I agree and I'd also agree that the diversity of girls was greater.

Do I think it was better ? better for me at that time for sure but better generally ? maybe. I think we always see the past in more glamorous terms.

Archived