"Drippy Dick"? I Wish That Was It

Hugh_Hoy

I've been home from the hospital now for 5 days. After six nights of imprisonment at my local medical center facility, the doctors gave me a discharge.

I'm not sure exactly how I came to acquire "pulmonary thrombosis", but my doctors believe it was triggered by lack of activity on one (or both) of my trans-Pacific flights from the U.S. to Thailand back in September. In fact, the cardiologist noted that I might be "lucky" to have such an apparent probable cause, as more serious implications can be in play.

I'm also not sure when I first began noticing the symptoms of this malady. I recall that the heat and humidity seemed particularly acute when I arrived in BKK in early September. For the first day or two, I attributed soreness in my legs to (for me) an unusual amount of walking through the Los Angeles, Taipei, and BKK airports. (I don't walk much, as it aggravates a surgically-replaced knee.) After a couple of days, that soreness wore off, but I was still puzzled by the effort required to climb the stairs to the Nana BTS station platform. I'd never remembered those steps being so steep and so many. I was also a bit chagrined to find myself lagging behind a couple of board members one afternoon as we moved around Washington Square and Soi 22 environs.

But it wasn't until I was home for a full two weeks that an increasing shortness of breath told me "things ain't right". I recall walking across my house, going out to my garage, and getting in my car to take care of some errands. It's a total of maybe 100 feet. By the time I got into my car, I felt like I really needed to stop and get some air. As I settled into my car seat, I experienced a pain in my upper chest that I'd never had before...kind of like a great deal of pressure being placed on it. Two days later, I went to see my doctor. He ordered me over to an outpatient facility for a chest x-ray and some blood tests. Four hours later, he called and wanted to see me in his office in thirty minutes and to be packed and ready to be admitted to the hospital.

Once settled into my hospital room, the usual stuff took place. Then a CT and sonogram of my legs, lungs and heart. Within a few hours, I was on two blood thinners, a diuretic, and potassium. The doctors had discovered blood clots behind my right knee and in my lungs. (If I hadn't decided to be a wimp and see my doctor when I did, ol' Hugh might have wrote his last post some time ago.) The next few days were occupied by occasionally moving from a bed to a chair, reading, watching TV and catching naps. And, of course, giving blood every so often for a number of reasons.

The points I'm trying to make here are these:

1. On these long-haul flights, get up and move around from time to time. (I was less diligent about this on this last trip.)

2. Lose weight around the waist, an area which can contribute to the formation of blood clots.

3. Thrombosis symptoms may not appear as soon as you get off a plane. In my case, it was a full two weeks after my trip was completed. (My cardiologist noted that the clots probably originated in my legs and built up like stalagmites until they travelled and reached my lungs.

4. Read up on this stuff. As most here travel for hours on long flights, it won't hurt to Google this stuff...even if it only serves to remind you of what you already "know".

As for me, I'm feeling much, much better. Now if Noi was only here. The cardiologist suggests that I elevate my legs while sitting and Noi's shoulders provide excellent "elevation". On the other hand, the doctor says to lay off exercising. In the meantime, I'm gonna be on medication for about six months and see what gives by then. Hopefully, things will be back to normal by the time my next annual pilgrimage is scheduled.

Take care.

HH

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Very scary indeed and good to hear you are recovering.

My mother actually had something similar a few years back after having visited me here. Blood cloth in her leg that luckily didn't cause any serious issues.

I know what you say about moving about in the airplane a bit, but to be honest, I never do. Maybe one or 2 toilet trips and that's about it. I do move my legs into different positions (for as much as that is possible in cattle class) quite often though.

Sanuk!

Very best wishes Hugh.

I'm an old guy as well, I always walk around on planes. Aisle seat is keyed into every booking.

The doctors are tracing Hugh's clots

Like a kid's game of follow the dots

While the fattys make haste

To narrow their waist

And lucky old Noi's getting lots.

Take care, Hugh. Blood clots can be a problem for some throughout their adult life. Remember "Tricky Dick" and his problems with blood clots during his presidency? With treatment, he lived to his mid to late 80's. My mother wasn't as fortunate. She had no prior history and collapsed and died from a blood clot that reached her heart, one month short of her 50th birthday. Obviously, treatment is the key. Do what the doctors tell you to do and you will be fine.

Archived