To go external or internal?

eee

My second external hard drive is filled to the max now. I lost all the files on the first one years ago. I've been reading that the external drives go bad frequently so I got to thinking maybe just get another(2nd)internal hard drive. I do not use any software that came with external drives because when I did, I lost everything.It's usually the back up software that's the culprit,I have read. Which is safer? chok dii eee

Assuming you're using a PC, XP or newer operating system, get a basic external USB enclosure that accepts SATA drives, format it via Windows Disk Management utility and use native or 3rd party software, simple file copy or maybe SyncToy XP to back your files up to the ext drive.

Many ways to back up files to an external USB drive. Alternate backups between at least two different hard drives so if one goes south you still have the other one.

Another huge advantage to external drives is you can store them away from your computer so in case of fire, theft you still have your files.

Examples of external enclosures:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=SubCatDeals&N=2010010092&StoreType=2&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=False&Order=RATING

Personally I really like to use drives like the WD Passport:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136301&cm_re=passport_500gb-_-22-136-301-_-Product

There are flash drives as big as 20 gig now. An alternative to an external HD? :hmmm:

256GB actualy

FYI the size bigger than 16GB is 32GB' date=' No such thing as a 20GB Memory size is binary based.[/quote']

If the data are really important you'll need *at least* to separate back ups. As you said, back ups can go wrong due to software/hardware or user errors. It's not unheard-of that a HD crashes and the back up is corrupted...

A simple back up also has the disadvantage that a corrupted source file will overwrite a clean back up, therefore I would choose a back up solution with file versioning, which is keeping older versions of a file.

Also one back up should be physically separated from the location of the PC (fire, theft, tsunami, dog, girl friend...)

At the office we use:

- Sugarsync for immediately synching three computers (2 Mac, 1 WinPC, ca. 80GB of data) via the internet. It includes storing all files online and file versioning.

- Jungle Disk to back up the main PC at night at Amazon's servers (including file versioning)

- Apple Time Machine to back up the main PC to Apple's Time Capsule (including file versioning).

You might call me a little paranoid, but the loss of important data would cause a crisis for our company and the solutions are not really expensive. The Time Capsule was 500 USD (which is a router at the same time) and we pay ca. 250 USD a year for cloud storage.

The disadvantage of online storage is, that you'll need VDSL (more than 1Mbit upstream) for backing up large files (bigger than a few hundred MB).

At home I just use an external HD for back ups and Mozy for nightly online back ups. Mozy offers unlimited storage for around 100 USD a year. It's a little bit slow, which is no problem for me since I run it at night.

By the way, if you buy a new HD, look for the expensive ones with "server" quality. They are said to be more reliable. (Carlton should know more about this)

I keep two external back ups of my important files.

It's highly unlikely that my PC hard drive will fail and the two external hard drives pack up at the same time - that would be really unlucky.

Yes I agree that one backup should be kept separate from the others.

I use two seperate piese of software - NOVASTOR and MEMEO. The latter one seems to be a lot stabler than when I first used it and quit.

I only went back recently to try it out and it seems to do the trick.

If you have the 'original' software for your Operating System etc or can get your hands on copies, you only need to back up everything else.

I use a 1 TB external HD along with some smaller ones.

Archived