Laos Nightlife

jjj

The Riverside was cheap, 500B, and guest friendly when I stayed there. I was a regular at the Saysana Hotel but it was under renovation last time I looked, a while ago now though.

Most nightspots have freelancers, the sports bar, Borpinyang, seemed to be popular on the riverfront. The SamlorPub is legendary in that field but check for spare parts before you buy.

Sorry, these are all for Vientiane, I wouldn't recommend 'mongering in the provinces

Check the hotel is guest friendly when booking "Can I bring my girlfrienfd here"

Phonepusuth near fountain is.

Walk around - at night in back lanesa you'll be approached by the ugliest men in dresses since Calcutta.

Plenty bars etc where you may if smart find fun - it's harder but maybe worth the effort

So the khatoeys are still there. I ran into them by the river in 1974 -- guys in evening gowns sitting in the middle of nowhere. Hadn't seen them since them and thought maybe the commies locked them all up.

Walking around the city, I was accosted by tuk-tuk drivers eager to take me off to brothels though.

Katoeys are everywhere. The only place I can recall *not* seeing ladyboys was China. Every other nightlife district I went to had them, but KL stands out for having the ugliest (and most obviously male..) ladyboys in Asia, and they didnt have a problem plying their trade out on the street in the CBD amidst seemingly oblivious families. Crazy city.

By contrast, Vientiane would rank as one of the most boring capitals on earth. Also an incredibly bad place to wake up with a hangover and a crook knee. Beer Lao is one of my favourite beers, but 15 of them wont do you any favors.

was there with a mate of mine about 6 months ago. soon as we would walk into a place he was bombarded with girls pushing their phone numbers onto him. me i go no numbers, except when he went to the toliet, then they would ask me to pass their number onto my friend. I just kept telling them "sorry but he is gay man". He 32 handsom and speaks lao...i hate him. Best fun i had was in the hostess joints where girls will come and sit and help you drink as many glasses of beer as possible. Asking price was steep in all places. 2k ST and 3k LT. Dont go to laos for shagging, you will do better on the other side of the river.

I'd take Udon or Nong Khai over Vientiane if I had to live somewhere in that neck of the woods. Bloody hot in summer, and I'm told that it is the coldest place in Thailand in Winter : given that the girl who told me that spent 4 bitterly cold months picking fruit in Victoria, I'm inclined to believe its colder than I'd like.

Archived